The group for people who are having trouble writing songs and have writers block

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Writing Alternative Songs

shreddedstrings

Need help writing something that sounds like Green Day? this is the thread for you. Post anything you want help about for genres of alternative. this includes ska, new punk, grunge, etc. Need help writing something that sounds like Green Day? this is the thread for you. Post anything you want help about for genres of alternative. this includes ska, new punk, grunge, etc.
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 6:28 PM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

Are you in need of help? Maybe I can, ask away! Are you in need of help? Maybe I can, ask away!
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 6:30 AM - Quote - Report!

megs139

i really do need help with guitar tabs.
i just cant seem to got them right.
soon enough i get frustrated and want to like break my guitar.
but ofcourse i would never do such a thing.
i really like the alternative genre..just cant seem to get it in my own creations though
i really do need help with guitar tabs.
i just cant seem to got them right.
soon enough i get frustrated and want to like break my guitar.
but ofcourse i would never do such a thing.
i really like the alternative genre..just cant seem to get it in my own creations though
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 1:50 AM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

Listen to as many "ALTERNATIVE" songs you can. Remember they call it "PLAY"
for a reason. Just play within your skill range, have fun. Play a riff for awhile and then press record! You will be amazed at what you get. I can't WRITE tabs to save my life, must be some form of a.d.d.. :) Don't worry to much about having them written, it is YOUR music and I bet you will remember how you played it later. Remember YOU
have songs in you, it is up to YOU to let them live outside your mind!
Listen to as many "ALTERNATIVE" songs you can. Remember they call it "PLAY"
for a reason. Just play within your skill range, have fun. Play a riff for awhile and then press record! You will be amazed at what you get. I can't WRITE tabs to save my life, must be some form of a.d.d.. :) Don't worry to much about having them written, it is YOUR music and I bet you will remember how you played it later. Remember YOU
have songs in you, it is up to YOU to let them live outside your mind!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:11 AM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

By writing tabs you do mean actually putting them on paper or using guitar pro or something right? By writing tabs you do mean actually putting them on paper or using guitar pro or something right?
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:12 AM - Quote - Report!

megs139

jasonggabbott wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 2:12am :
By writing tabs you do mean actually putting them on paper or using guitar pro or something right?

yes, i would like to get something that sounds good and get it down on paper, so then i have something to look off of when i forget a part of my own song, dont ask me how that happens, that type of thing happens alot with me.
i know where to get the tab paper, and i have a little, my brother said he would give me some.
[QUOTE u='jasonggabbott' d='2009-02-24 02:12:36']By writing tabs you do mean actually putting them on paper or using guitar pro or something right?[/QUOTE]
yes, i would like to get something that sounds good and get it down on paper, so then i have something to look off of when i forget a part of my own song, dont ask me how that happens, that type of thing happens alot with me.
i know where to get the tab paper, and i have a little, my brother said he would give me some.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 8:23 PM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

So what part of writing tabs are you having problems with? It is pretty simple, please let me know I want YOU to be able to do what YOU want to do. I still suggest you record what you play and don't worry about remembering it right now. Just get it recorded. Hearing yourself helps so very much. Does your little brother play or write tabs? So what part of writing tabs are you having problems with? It is pretty simple, please let me know I want YOU to be able to do what YOU want to do. I still suggest you record what you play and don't worry about remembering it right now. Just get it recorded. Hearing yourself helps so very much. Does your little brother play or write tabs?
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 6:15 AM - Quote - Report!

megs139

The only problem is, i dont have the stuff the record, but i may be able to figure out how with one of my friends camaras. He used to play guitar, but i dont know why exactally he stoped i told him not to. But he didnt listen, but he did write some songs, so i could ask him for some help, that is if were not fighting at that moment in time. The only problem is, i dont have the stuff the record, but i may be able to figure out how with one of my friends camaras. He used to play guitar, but i dont know why exactally he stoped i told him not to. But he didnt listen, but he did write some songs, so i could ask him for some help, that is if were not fighting at that moment in time.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 12:57 PM - Quote - Report!

shreddedstrings

meg, you can just go to your local music shop and buy a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter (guitar size to headphone size) and just plug it into your computer microphone jack and go into the recorder app in acceories, thats how i began. meg, you can just go to your local music shop and buy a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter (guitar size to headphone size) and just plug it into your computer microphone jack and go into the recorder app in acceories, thats how i began.
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 8:08 PM - Quote - Report!

megs139

uhh......shure? uhh......shure?
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 2:32 AM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

The adapter you can get at radio shack or a store like it. I suggest using audacity, it
is free and with a little effort really rocks! I also use guitar f/x it is a free f/x program that models amps through your computer. If you need help just ask here.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net
VERSION 1.2.6 !Get the lame_dll converter so you can convert your song to mp3. Remeber what file folder you put it in.

http://guitarfx.net
get version 3.06

You will love these programs and uploading your songs will help YOU grow more than anything.
The adapter you can get at radio shack or a store like it. I suggest using audacity, it
is free and with a little effort really rocks! I also use guitar f/x it is a free f/x program that models amps through your computer. If you need help just ask here.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net
VERSION 1.2.6 !Get the lame_dll converter so you can convert your song to mp3. Remeber what file folder you put it in.

http://guitarfx.net
get version 3.06

You will love these programs and uploading your songs will help YOU grow more than anything.
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 7:13 AM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

Also just recording on a simple tape recorder helps you HEAR yourself play.
Your friend should have never given up on guitar. Please don't do that.
I am happy to help. Just ask. I also have a simple guide I can send you after you get audacity working.
Also just recording on a simple tape recorder helps you HEAR yourself play.
Your friend should have never given up on guitar. Please don't do that.
I am happy to help. Just ask. I also have a simple guide I can send you after you get audacity working.
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 7:15 AM - Quote - Report!

megs139

cool, i WILL check these sites, when i have time, and if my guitar is at the same house i am, i used to take it to whitch ever house i was going to, but my dad wants it to stay at his house, but im over there like every day. i just walk form school. :) cool, i WILL check these sites, when i have time, and if my guitar is at the same house i am, i used to take it to whitch ever house i was going to, but my dad wants it to stay at his house, but im over there like every day. i just walk form school. :)
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 8:40 PM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

So megs, how is it going? So megs, how is it going?
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 12:42 AM - Quote - Report!

megs139

so much has been going on like with school work and everything in between i an really glad i have a week off of school ... gonna be sleeping through half of it..
:) you?
so much has been going on like with school work and everything in between i an really glad i have a week off of school ... gonna be sleeping through half of it..
:) you?
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:00 PM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

Just making music and working. You should find some time to play your guitar! Just making music and working. You should find some time to play your guitar!
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 6:22 AM - Quote - Report!

megs139

I am now MAKING time! I have goten back into guitar lessons and I am suprized at just how much I didnt know! im lerning the techneks behind the songs, this teacher (his name is Matt) is into metal and im into some metal too so he knows where im coming from where as my old teacher was more of the classic rock and no offence to anyone but i hate Bon Jovi :p I am now MAKING time! I have goten back into guitar lessons and I am suprized at just how much I didnt know! im lerning the techneks behind the songs, this teacher (his name is Matt) is into metal and im into some metal too so he knows where im coming from where as my old teacher was more of the classic rock and no offence to anyone but i hate Bon Jovi :p
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 6:40 PM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

Bon Jovi is classic? :) That is great new that you found a good teacher! Rock ON! Bon Jovi is classic? :) That is great new that you found a good teacher! Rock ON!
Posted: May 19, 2009 3:34 AM - Quote - Report!

megs139

I really don't know, half the time i don't know what im talking about lol. I really don't know, half the time i don't know what im talking about lol.
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 10:11 PM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

How is the instruction going, megs? How is the instruction going, megs?
Posted: Jun 12, 2009 6:35 AM - Quote - Report!

megs139

great, so far ive lerned a song.. solo and all. Teenagers - My Chemical Romance :) so now im onto Dead! - My Chemical Romance and ive also found out that my guitar teachers the guitarist from The Tyler Schwendie Band, the one with the white guitar :D and yourself, anything new? great, so far ive lerned a song.. solo and all.
Teenagers - My Chemical Romance
:) so now im onto Dead! - My Chemical Romance
and ive also found out that my guitar teachers the guitarist from The Tyler Schwendie Band, the one with the white guitar :D

and yourself, anything new?
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 3:26 AM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

WOW! You are REALLY on YOUR way! I am a bit jealous, being a self taught, lol, musician. KEEP us posted! WOW! You are REALLY on YOUR way! I am a bit jealous, being a self taught, lol, musician. KEEP us posted!
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 12:35 AM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand