60s-70s Rock n Roll

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Best Lyricists

aig91

Who do you think are the best lyricists of the classic rock generation? IMHO, I'd have to say that Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, Robert Plant, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix had some of the best lyrics. What are your views? Who do you think are the best lyricists of the classic rock generation? IMHO, I'd have to say that Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, Robert Plant, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix had some of the best lyrics. What are your views?
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 5:33 PM - Quote - Report!

musiccrave1028

Robert Plant and, as you said, Bob Dylan. Robert Plant and, as you said, Bob Dylan.
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 8:17 PM - Quote - Report!

LedDaveZeppelin

Yea id definatlely have to go with Dylan. Everyone of his songs had great lyrics...I think Jim Morrison wrote damn good lyrics as well. Of course Led Zeppelin's songs always had amazing lyrics. Umm Donovan..Lennon..Paul...George...Ohh and Neil Young. Yea id definatlely have to go with Dylan. Everyone of his songs had great lyrics...I think Jim Morrison wrote damn good lyrics as well. Of course Led Zeppelin's songs always had amazing lyrics. Umm Donovan..Lennon..Paul...George...Ohh and Neil Young.
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 6:53 AM - Quote - Report!

|Guitarhead|

Robert Plant, Robert Plant and Robert Plant. Oh! And Paul Mcartney... Robert Plant, Robert Plant and Robert Plant. Oh! And Paul Mcartney...
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 2:17 PM - Quote - Report!

hendrixfanatic

Both Lennon & McCartney, Chuck Berry, and Dylan Both Lennon & McCartney, Chuck Berry, and Dylan
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 9:06 AM - Quote - Report!

Hamburger89

Hard one, I like Bob Dylan a lot and Simon and Garfunkels lyrics are great too but I don't know who of the two is the best. Roger Waters has several great lyrics and Jim Morrison was a poet. Hard one, I like Bob Dylan a lot and Simon and Garfunkels lyrics are great too but I don't know who of the two is the best. Roger Waters has several great lyrics and Jim Morrison was a poet.
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 3:21 PM - Quote - Report!

Page/Rhoads

Robert Plant, Roger Waters and Ian Gillan. Robert Plant, Roger Waters and Ian Gillan.
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 10:34 PM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

You are all correct, IMO, they r all great lyricists. You are all correct, IMO, they r all great lyricists.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 10:47 AM - Quote - Report!

|Guitarhead|

Yeah i've been listening to simon and garfunkel recently, and yeah Garfunkel has a really great voice and great lyrics too. Yeah i've been listening to simon and garfunkel recently, and yeah Garfunkel has a really great voice and great lyrics too.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 7:32 PM - Quote - Report!

BOC15

Ya.. Dylan, McCartney, Robert Plant's were excellent also, but no one has mentioned Neal Peart from Rush, he is the lyricist for Rush and i think he's really good and never gets enough recognition you know.. also BOC had great lyics in their songs!! especially the Agents of Fortune album.. they might seem like late 70's almost 80's rock compared to Dylan, Plant, and so on.. but i think they rank with them too Ya.. Dylan, McCartney, Robert Plant's were excellent also, but no one has mentioned Neal Peart from Rush, he is the lyricist for Rush and i think he's really good and never gets enough recognition you know.. also BOC had great lyics in their songs!! especially the Agents of Fortune album.. they might seem like late 70's almost 80's rock compared to Dylan, Plant, and so on.. but i think they rank with them too
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:24 PM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

Lou Reed has some awesome lyrics. Lou Reed has some awesome lyrics.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 12:17 PM - Quote - Report!

MTVget0FFtheAIR

^ lou reed is amazing.

also lennon/mccartney, dylan, springsteen, roky erickson, and hendrix (especially bold as love)
^ lou reed is amazing.

also lennon/mccartney, dylan, springsteen, roky erickson, and hendrix (especially bold as love)
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 6:00 AM - Quote - Report!

|Guitarhead|

Sorry, I forgot it was Lyricists and not Vocalists... Sorry, I forgot it was Lyricists and not Vocalists...
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 8:25 PM - Quote - Report!

Willie Chains

Waters, Dylan, Morrison, Peart, Lennon/McCartney Waters, Dylan, Morrison, Peart, Lennon/McCartney
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 4:03 AM - Quote - Report!

gr8rflamingorox

Yea, I agree. Dylan's lyrics are amazing. I also like the Lennon/McCartney songs. I'm a massive beatles fan. Yea, I agree. Dylan's lyrics are amazing. I also like the Lennon/McCartney songs. I'm a massive beatles fan.
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 2:47 AM - Quote - Report!

vigenharutyunya

Hmm i'd say Waters... and Plant.. i love em both :D Hmm i'd say Waters... and Plant.. i love em both :D
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:55 PM - Quote - Report!

indie_nation

Bob Dylan, Lennon & McCartney, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Page & Plant, Jack Bruce, Robbie Krieger, all of them wrote great songs Bob Dylan, Lennon & McCartney, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Page & Plant, Jack Bruce, Robbie Krieger, all of them wrote great songs
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 7:04 PM - Quote - Report!

Page/Rhoads

I totally forgot Jim Morrison. I totally forgot Jim Morrison.
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 11:00 PM - Quote - Report!

SLASH.94

Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Ronnie Van Zant, That'd be my top 3. Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Ronnie Van Zant, That'd be my top 3.
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:23 PM - Quote - Report!

salmon philippe

And What about Mick Jagger ? And What about Mick Jagger ?
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 4:02 PM - Quote - Report!

new yardbird 9

Ray Davies Ray Davies
Posted: Mar 7, 2013 1:57 PM - Quote - Report!

kyliss

Bob Dylan was an amazing poet but not much of a singer, though not many could convey his heart and passion. Jim Morrison for his brain bending, drug fuelled, kaleidoscope of vocal performance. And sorrowful depths, through to sweet love and joy by writing duos simon and Garfunkel and Lennon/McCartney... Bob Dylan was an amazing poet but not much of a singer, though not many could convey his heart and passion. Jim Morrison for his brain bending, drug fuelled, kaleidoscope of vocal performance. And sorrowful depths, through to sweet love and joy by writing duos simon and Garfunkel and Lennon/McCartney...
Posted: Sep 12, 2014 10:45 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand