Coalition of Intelligent Pit-Goers

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Creationism and evolution.

SOADrox429

Should creationism be taught alongside evolution in schools? Should creationism be taught alongside evolution in schools?
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 10:47 PM - Quote - Report!

Gunpowder

Until someone can find me quantitative scientific proof for the existence of God, I don't buy it. It's just speculation, which should not be taught in schools in my opinion. Until someone can find me quantitative scientific proof for the existence of God, I don't buy it. It's just speculation, which should not be taught in schools in my opinion.
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 6:22 AM - Quote - Report!

metal4all

Sure, why not? Then when we teach about WWII and the Holocaust we can talk about how some people don't believe the Holocaust even happenned. We can also talk about the theory of gravity and say "hey, it's just a theory."

There shouldn't be a fucking argument. Evolution is a theory that's supported by a lot of facts. Creationism is an idea that is brought upon by a religion. If it isn't based on fact, what the fuck is it doing in a science class?
Sure, why not? Then when we teach about WWII and the Holocaust we can talk about how some people don't believe the Holocaust even happenned. We can also talk about the theory of gravity and say "hey, it's just a theory."

There shouldn't be a fucking argument. Evolution is a theory that's supported by a lot of facts. Creationism is an idea that is brought upon by a religion. If it isn't based on fact, what the fuck is it doing in a science class?
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 4:53 PM - Quote - Report!

SOADrox429

I agree completely. I told one of my friends that, and she agreed, but then said that it should still be taught in schools. I then asked in what class, and she told me that an entirely new elective class should be made for it. I told her that if that happened, then there should be a class that teaches abiogenesis, and then she was quiet, because she has no idea what abiogenesis is.
I lost respect for her because of that.
I agree completely. I told one of my friends that, and she agreed, but then said that it should still be taught in schools. I then asked in what class, and she told me that an entirely new elective class should be made for it. I told her that if that happened, then there should be a class that teaches abiogenesis, and then she was quiet, because she has no idea what abiogenesis is.
I lost respect for her because of that.
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 9:28 PM - Quote - Report!

metal4all

I just don't get some peoples ways of rationalizing. Where did common sense and rational thinking go? I just don't get some peoples ways of rationalizing. Where did common sense and rational thinking go?
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 5:57 PM - Quote - Report!

Invader Jim

Gunpowder wrote on Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:22am :
Until someone can find me quantitative scientific proof for the existence of God, I don't buy it. It's just speculation, which should not be taught in schools in my opinion.

Man, that's the whole point of Religion; belief in the absence of proof, i.e. Faith. The second religion can be proven, it is no longer religion, but scientific fact.

Having said that, I don't really care what they do. The world is so politically correct these days that I just can't stand it.
[QUOTE u='Gunpowder' d='2008-10-07 01:22:41']Until someone can find me quantitative scientific proof for the existence of God, I don't buy it. It's just speculation, which should not be taught in schools in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Man, that's the whole point of Religion; belief in the absence of proof, i.e. Faith. The second religion can be proven, it is no longer religion, but scientific fact.

Having said that, I don't really care what they do. The world is so politically correct these days that I just can't stand it.
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 12:20 AM - Quote - Report!

ldl67

It is taught at school here. Though I do go to a Catholic School. But I believe it's taught at the public schools as well.

EDIT: Evolution doesn't necessarily conflict with creationism anyway.
It is taught at school here. Though I do go to a Catholic School. But I believe it's taught at the public schools as well.

EDIT: Evolution doesn't necessarily conflict with creationism anyway.
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 8:16 PM - Quote - Report!

Joshrocker48

Creationism should not be taught alongside evolution.

For one, Science cannot prove or disprove God

Two, whose creationsim?

Three, where is the evidence?

Four, why should it have equal credence with evolution?

Five, most creationism involves a very bizarre interpretation of scripture, especially that Young Earth kind.

Six, Evolution and Christianity does not and should not conflict

Seven, In respect to Christianity the first chapter of Genesis is extremely literary and poetic. It reads like an allegory and not like History.
Creationism should not be taught alongside evolution.

For one, Science cannot prove or disprove God

Two, whose creationsim?

Three, where is the evidence?

Four, why should it have equal credence with evolution?

Five, most creationism involves a very bizarre interpretation of scripture, especially that Young Earth kind.

Six, Evolution and Christianity does not and should not conflict

Seven, In respect to Christianity the first chapter of Genesis is extremely literary and poetic. It reads like an allegory and not like History.
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 5:10 PM - Quote - Report!

Gunpowder

Invader Jim wrote on Oct 11th, 2008 at 7:20pm :
Gunpowder wrote on Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:22am :
Until someone can find me quantitative scientific proof for the existence of God, I don't buy it. It's just speculation, which should not be taught in schools in my opinion.

That's the thing though. It's a science course, not a religion course. They don't teach evolution in religion courses, do they? Evolution has all but been proven at this point, but we're still at the same point in terms of God as we were 2,000 years ago. And if we teach creationism in school, it couldn't just be specific to Christianity; it would have to be all major religions being taught.

In a religion course. ;)
[QUOTE u='Invader Jim' d='2008-10-11 19:20:54'][QUOTE u='Gunpowder' d='2008-10-07 01:22:41']Until someone can find me quantitative scientific proof for the existence of God, I don't buy it. It's just speculation, which should not be taught in schools in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Having said that, I don't really care what they do. The world is so politically correct these days that I just can't stand it.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing though. It's a [i]science[/i] course, not a religion course. They don't teach evolution in religion courses, do they? Evolution has all but been proven at this point, but we're still at the same point in terms of God as we were 2,000 years ago. And if we teach creationism in school, it couldn't just be specific to Christianity; it would have to be [i]all[/i] major religions being taught.

In a religion course. ;)
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 7:16 PM - Quote - Report!

SlackerBabbath

Not alongside evolution, as a scientific hypothesis but creationism should definately be covered in school as part of the study of all religions. The study of religion and how it's developed over thousands of years actualy tells us a hell of a lot of important stuff about our history. Not alongside evolution, as a scientific hypothesis but creationism should definately be covered in school as part of the study of all religions.
The study of religion and how it's developed over thousands of years actualy tells us a hell of a lot of important stuff about our history.
Posted: May 1, 2009 5:10 PM - Quote - Report!

Shinozoku

I personally believe that a good way to stop the argument is simply talk about Natural Selection instead. It's less controversial.

Nowadays things are different than they were a few hundred years ago. Even the religious fanatics believed in evolution back during Darwin's time. But it's Darwin (and another guy whose name escaped me right now) who discovered Natural Selection, which proved Creation AND Evolution as far as I'm concerned.

Plus, the modern theory of how multicellular organisms came to be really kinda parallels with the religious texts.
I personally believe that a good way to stop the argument is simply talk about Natural Selection instead. It's less controversial. Nowadays things are different than they were a few hundred years ago. Even the religious fanatics believed in evolution back during Darwin's time. But it's Darwin (and another guy whose name escaped me right now) who discovered Natural Selection, which proved Creation AND Evolution as far as I'm concerned. Plus, the modern theory of how multicellular organisms came to be really kinda parallels with the religious texts.
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 10:01 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand