Dance Music Appreciation Society

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

The Main DIfferences (Your Really General Guide to

MastaBassist10

Alright so EDM started with house in chicago where gay black men played disco with drum machines in night club, blah blah blah, who cares? Lets get started:

HOUSE- Started it all and is still strong today. Its characterized by its steady 4x4 (4 on the floor; kick on every beat of the measure) beat (this comes from disco btw), its favour towards jazzy riffs, and its undeniable funk and groove (and in some forms, its soul). Very often vocal, with black men and women pouring their heart out about music and sex. 125-135 bpm

TECHNO- Comes out of Detroit (NOT Germany) and retains the 4x4 beat of house music, but the soul of its western brother is replaced by a mechanical feel , much reminiscent of Detroit's industrial landscape. 130-150 bpm

TRANCE- I dunno where this came from, but most of its pretty bad, so I'll be brief. Trance is very melodic, keeps the 4x4 beat (with an open 909 hi hat on the off-beat standardly), and uses lots of gated reverb on everything (reverb that shuts on and off with the sound). Can be very very cheesy, but genres like psytrance and goa balence it out with their darker melodies and eastern influences. 150-160 bpm

JUNGLE aka DRUM & BASS- Jungle kills the 4x4 beat and replaces it with hip-hop-like syncopated drum patterns (although this is quite often altered). Jungle producers get their drums from breakdowns in music where its just the drums (called breakbeats in funk music), cutting them out, slicing them into induvidual hits, and rearranging them at 160-180 bpm, and coupling them with big basslines and other such sounds. Very jazz and funk influenced, although in drum n bass, people draw influence from anywhere to house (liquid funk) to metal (darkstep) to acid techno (neurofunk).

BREAKBEAT- This is sorta like jungle slowed down to 125-235 bpm, or house without he 4x4 beat. Its fun, sometimes; other times the tempo is just awkward. Breakbeat also includes genres like electro, hip hop, and big beat (which is the standard in every action scene in a movie ever).

HARDCORE- Its like techno, but harder (except in the case of happy hardcore, which sucks anyways cause its cheezy as fuck). Rave (the genre) mixed breakbeats (which gave way to jungle btw), screaming leads, acidic basslines and 4x4 kick drums, plus whatever weird shit they found and this all evolved into genres like gabber, which uses heavy distorted kick drums and piercing hoover basslines to make its statement at around 150-180 bpm, all the way up speedcore, which ranges from 200-2000 bpm, which is insane and probably sounds great on speed or crack. The there's breakcore, which is just fucked up.

UK GARAGE (that's G-AIR-AWGE for us yanks)- Not to be confused with regular garage (Which is a form of house coming out of NY), this is around 135-145 bpm (we keep tempos tight for DJ mixing, btw), and often employs a 2-step beat heard in genres like hip hop, breakbeat, or jungle, but with more shuffle and staccato (pitched up snares are a must). Speed garage is just stupid however, and mixes annoying diva vocals (which are nice anywhere but here) with annoying wobbling basslines that sound like a retard is yelling. 2-step garage is nice and mellow, but the reason I actually did an entry on garage (which is really part of breakbeat if you think about it) is because of dubstep. Dubstep uses minimal beats (often in half time), gigantic (sometimes wobbly, but it usually fits here) sub-basslines, and tons of reverb. Everything else after those three elements (and early dubstep guys didn't even use that much reverb until Digital Mystikz came along) is completely up to the producer. Which makes it awesome, because dance music needs more creativity.

DOWNTEMPO- This isn't really dance music, but enough of us enthusiists like it that I'll put it in here. Its really quite ambient a lot of the time, usually under 100 bpm, and is pretty broad in terms of what it sounds like. We have trip hop, which is sorta like abstract UK hip hop but more singing oriented (those are my terms from what I've heard) to IDM ("intelligent" dance music), which is SUPER abstract and very interesting to listen to.

There's an alright, more indepth guide here- http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
But its really sort of a piss-take, so don't take it 100%
Alright so EDM started with house in chicago where gay black men played disco with drum machines in night club, blah blah blah, who cares? Lets get started:

HOUSE- Started it all and is still strong today. Its characterized by its steady 4x4 (4 on the floor; kick on every beat of the measure) beat (this comes from disco btw), its favour towards jazzy riffs, and its undeniable funk and groove (and in some forms, its soul). Very often vocal, with black men and women pouring their heart out about music and sex. 125-135 bpm

TECHNO- Comes out of Detroit (NOT Germany) and retains the 4x4 beat of house music, but the soul of its western brother is replaced by a mechanical feel , much reminiscent of Detroit's industrial landscape. 130-150 bpm

TRANCE- I dunno where this came from, but most of its pretty bad, so I'll be brief. Trance is very melodic, keeps the 4x4 beat (with an open 909 hi hat on the off-beat standardly), and uses lots of gated reverb on everything (reverb that shuts on and off with the sound). Can be very very cheesy, but genres like psytrance and goa balence it out with their darker melodies and eastern influences. 150-160 bpm

JUNGLE aka DRUM & BASS- Jungle kills the 4x4 beat and replaces it with hip-hop-like syncopated drum patterns (although this is quite often altered). Jungle producers get their drums from breakdowns in music where its just the drums (called breakbeats in funk music), cutting them out, slicing them into induvidual hits, and rearranging them at 160-180 bpm, and coupling them with big basslines and other such sounds. Very jazz and funk influenced, although in drum n bass, people draw influence from anywhere to house (liquid funk) to metal (darkstep) to acid techno (neurofunk).

BREAKBEAT- This is sorta like jungle slowed down to 125-235 bpm, or house without he 4x4 beat. Its fun, sometimes; other times the tempo is just awkward. Breakbeat also includes genres like electro, hip hop, and big beat (which is the standard in every action scene in a movie ever).

HARDCORE- Its like techno, but harder (except in the case of happy hardcore, which sucks anyways cause its cheezy as fuck). Rave (the genre) mixed breakbeats (which gave way to jungle btw), screaming leads, acidic basslines and 4x4 kick drums, plus whatever weird shit they found and this all evolved into genres like gabber, which uses heavy distorted kick drums  and piercing hoover basslines to make its statement at around 150-180 bpm, all the way up speedcore, which ranges from 200-2000 bpm, which is insane and probably sounds great on speed or crack. The there's breakcore, which is just fucked up.

UK GARAGE (that's G-AIR-AWGE for us yanks)- Not to be confused with regular garage (Which is a form of house coming out of NY), this is around 135-145 bpm (we keep tempos tight for DJ mixing, btw), and often employs a 2-step beat heard in genres like hip hop, breakbeat, or jungle, but with more shuffle and staccato (pitched up snares are a must). Speed garage is just stupid however, and mixes annoying diva vocals (which are nice anywhere but here) with annoying wobbling basslines that sound like a retard is yelling. 2-step garage is nice and mellow, but the reason I actually did an entry on garage (which is really part of breakbeat if you think about it) is because of dubstep. Dubstep uses minimal beats (often in half time), gigantic (sometimes wobbly, but it usually fits here) sub-basslines, and tons of reverb. Everything else after those three elements (and early dubstep guys didn't even use that much reverb until Digital Mystikz came along) is completely up to the producer. Which makes it awesome, because dance music needs more creativity.

DOWNTEMPO- This isn't really dance music, but enough of us enthusiists like it that I'll put it in here. Its really quite ambient a lot of the time, usually under 100 bpm, and is pretty broad in terms of what it sounds like. We have trip hop, which is sorta like abstract UK hip hop but more singing oriented (those are my terms from what I've heard) to IDM ("intelligent" dance music), which is SUPER abstract and very interesting to listen to.

There's an alright, more indepth guide here- http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
But its really sort of a piss-take, so don't take it 100%
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 2:48 PM - Quote - Report!

GeekUSA

dude rave music is teh sh*t dude rave music is teh sh*t
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 10:31 PM - Quote - Report!

MastaBassist10

Rave is amazing. <333 BB hardcore Rave is amazing. <333 BB hardcore
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 9:14 PM - Quote - Report!

divid3d

i still have no idea what people are referring to when they say 'rave' as a genre i still have no idea what people are referring to when they say 'rave' as a genre
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 5:20 PM - Quote - Report!

el-ECTRO

they usually mean general dance music lol they usually mean general dance music lol
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 6:16 PM - Quote - Report!

thiagosilva

'rave' music is trance,psychedelic,uplifting electronic,progressive,something like this

but rave isn't a genre
'rave' music is trance,psychedelic,uplifting electronic,progressive,something like this

but rave isn't a genre
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 5:04 AM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand