Welcome to this
great community
of excellent Guitarists.

You are Free here.

Welcome to this
great community
of excellent Guitarists.

You are Free here.

Posted: May 23, 2009 2:04 PM - Quote - Report!

Crazymike100

Hmmm... who likes to play with their guitar strap REALLY low? This guy in a church band plays with his guitar strap so obscenely low, and he misses every goddamn note. But when he sits down and plays, he's really good. When I asked why he does that first year n00b thing with his strap, he said "Man, it makes me look AWESOME!". Personally, I'd rather have my guitar near my chest and look like a fool (but a fool who can sweep a six string diminished chord without missing any notes) then a T0T4LLY M3T4L F0R T3H 4W3SUMZ kid who learned everything he knows from watching MTv. Hmmm... who likes to play with their guitar strap REALLY low? This guy in a church band plays with his guitar strap so obscenely low, and he misses every goddamn note. But when he sits down and plays, he's really good. When I asked why he does that first year n00b thing with his strap, he said "Man, it makes me look AWESOME!".

Personally, I'd rather have my guitar near my chest and look like a fool (but a fool who can sweep a six string diminished chord without missing any notes) then a T0T4LLY M3T4L F0R T3H 4W3SUMZ kid who learned everything he knows from watching MTv.
Posted: May 24, 2009 2:29 PM - Quote - Report!

destinzock

Crazymike100 wrote on May 24th, 2009 at 9:29am :
Hmmm... who likes to play with their guitar strap REALLY low? This guy in a church band plays with his guitar strap so obscenely low, and he misses every goddamn note. But when he sits down and plays, he's really good. When I asked why he does that first year n00b thing with his strap, he said "Man, it makes me look AWESOME!".

Personally, I'd rather have my guitar near my chest and look like a fool (but a fool who can sweep a six string diminished chord without missing any notes) then a T0T4LLY M3T4L F0R T3H 4W3SUMZ kid who learned everything he knows from watching MTv.
haha, i've tried the low strap before it looks cool but my wrist started to hurt pretty bad when playing for a period of time. So i wear mine about average not to high thogh haha.
Hmmm... who likes to play with their guitar strap REALLY low? This guy in a church band plays with his guitar strap so obscenely low, and he misses every goddamn note. But when he sits down and plays, he's really good. When I asked why he does that first year n00b thing with his strap, he said "Man, it makes me look AWESOME!".

haha, i've tried the low strap before it looks cool but my wrist started to hurt pretty bad when playing for a period of time. So i wear mine about average not to high thogh haha.
Posted: May 24, 2009 2:42 PM - Quote - Report!

Myfirstpubes

destinzock wrote on May 24th, 2009 at 9:42am :
yeah, same here, I tried the whole "James Hetfield low-strap look", but it killed my wrist. Just keep it average. Also, how long have you guys been playing? I've been playing for almost 2 years, but I don't think years have to do anything with it. Just how much you practice.

yeah, same here, I tried the whole "James Hetfield low-strap look", but it killed my wrist. Just keep it average.

Also, how long have you guys been playing? I've been playing for almost 2 years, but I don't think years have to do anything with it. Just how much you practice.

Posted: May 24, 2009 7:29 PM - Quote - Report!

Crazymike100

^^I've been playing for about three years, or so. Mainly classical, but rock is good too sometimes. When I'm playing alone in my house, usually I whip out me old acoustic, and play some classical gas, but when I'm with a band, it's ellie all the way. It's got a bigger sound and more thump... like yo momma. >_> ^^I've been playing for about three years, or so. Mainly classical, but rock is good too sometimes. When I'm playing alone in my house, usually I whip out me old acoustic, and play some classical gas, but when I'm with a band, it's ellie all the way. It's got a bigger sound and more thump... like yo momma. >_>
Posted: May 24, 2009 11:30 PM - Quote - Report!

DaphneStrat

Ah yes, the great strap length debate. Well, since I don't play live at all, I mostly play sitting down. However, when I do try to play standing up, I tend to have my guitar up pretty high (much like Tom Morello). I figure it's better to look kind of dorky but play well than to look cool and play horribly. Also, my arms aren't that long and my hands are small so if I tried to play my guitar strapped really low, I would be majorly straining my hands/wrists. I say to use the strap length that's most comfortable for you :) Ah yes, the great strap length debate. Well, since I don't play live at all, I mostly play sitting down. However, when I do try to play standing up, I tend to have my guitar up pretty high (much like Tom Morello). I figure it's better to look kind of dorky but play well than to look cool and play horribly. Also, my arms aren't that long and my hands are small so if I tried to play my guitar strapped really low, I would be majorly straining my hands/wrists. I say to use the strap length that's most comfortable for you :)
Posted: May 25, 2009 8:01 PM - Quote - Report!

destinzock

Beep Beep
Posted: May 25, 2009 9:49 PM - Quote - Report!

Myfirstpubes

DaphneStrat wrote on May 25th, 2009 at 3:01pm :
Ah yes, the great strap length debate. Well, since I don't play live at all, I mostly play sitting down. However, when I do try to play standing up, I tend to have my guitar up pretty high (much like Tom Morello). I figure it's better to look kind of dorky but play well than to look cool and play horribly. Also, my arms aren't that long and my hands are small so if I tried to play my guitar strapped really low, I would be majorly straining my hands/wrists. I say to use the strap length that's most comfortable for you :)
this.

anyways, if you play really good with the strap all the way up, you can sorta make it your thing. If any douchebag says it looks dorky or foolish, don't say anything. Just put on your highly positioned guitar, and shred the shit out of their face. Who's the fool now?
Ah yes, the great strap length debate. Well, since I don't play live at all, I mostly play sitting down. However, when I do try to play standing up, I tend to have my guitar up pretty high (much like Tom Morello). I figure it's better to look kind of dorky but play well than to look cool and play horribly. Also, my arms aren't that long and my hands are small so if I tried to play my guitar strapped really low, I would be majorly straining my hands/wrists. I say to use the strap length that's most comfortable for you :)
this.

anyways, if you play really good with the strap all the way up, you can sorta make it your thing. If any douchebag says it looks dorky or foolish, don't say anything. Just put on your highly positioned guitar, and shred the shit out of their face. Who's the fool now?
Posted: May 26, 2009 12:40 AM - Quote - Report!

destinzock

Myfirstpubes wrote on May 25th, 2009 at 7:40pm :
this.

Good Way at looking at it :)

this.

Good Way at looking at it :)
Posted: May 26, 2009 12:49 AM - Quote - Report!

DaphneStrat

this.

;) Hellz yeah!

this.

;) Hellz yeah!
Posted: May 26, 2009 3:04 AM - Quote - Report!

metal105

hey everyone. whats up? thanks for the invite , i guess someone thinks i have some skills then. when i have ten minutes i'll check the members stuff and comment and stuff. so yeah cheers, nice one. hey everyone. whats up?
thanks for the invite , i guess someone thinks i have some skills then.
when i have ten minutes i'll check the members stuff and comment and stuff.
so yeah cheers, nice one.
Posted: May 27, 2009 6:35 PM - Quote - Report!

destinzock

hey hows it going. Thanks for making this group an even better place :) hey hows it going. Thanks for making this group an even better place :)
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:49 AM - Quote - Report!

Acidious_T

It depends on the guitar for me. With my V, I can have it a bit lower than usual, but for the Les Paul, its gotta be a bit higher. I dont sweat what people think about my strap height, just look at John Petrucci when he plays. That guitar is way up there.

It depends on the guitar for me. With my V, I can have it a bit lower than usual, but for the Les Paul, its gotta be a bit higher. I dont sweat what people think about my strap height, just look at John Petrucci when he plays. That guitar is way up there.
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 11:49 AM - Quote - Report!

bastratard

MTv.

you know when i played slung down low like that in my beginning years, i developed carpal tunnel from trying all the sweep picking and all that shit. (in 1999 I wasnt able to feel my hand at all and therefore I had to quit for 2 years.) I learned a better way: up high supporting my head. kidding. But yeah man I thought it looked cool too until.....

MTv.

you know when i played slung down low like that in my beginning years, i developed carpal tunnel from trying all the sweep picking and all that shit. (in 1999 I wasnt able to feel my hand at all and therefore I had to quit for 2 years.)

I learned a better way: up high supporting my head. kidding. But yeah man I thought it looked cool too until.....
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 3:04 PM - Quote - Report!

nico42

First off: Hi everyone! Concerning the strap topic: I actually wear my guitar higher than my basses and I don't like those too low either. It just helps me keeping my right wrist strait, which is important for bass-stamina. Also I absolutely disagree on that "wearing your guitar high makes you look like a dork" stereotype - it makes you look like a awesome musician who knows his sh!t and cares about being able to play just as awesome for years to come without any wrist or back problems! First off: Hi everyone!

Concerning the strap topic: I actually wear my guitar higher than my basses and I don't like those too low either. It just helps me keeping my right wrist strait, which is important for bass-stamina.
Also I absolutely disagree on that "wearing your guitar high makes you look like a dork" stereotype - it makes you look like a awesome musician who knows his sh!t and cares about being able to play just as awesome for years to come without any wrist or back problems!
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 7:18 PM - Quote - Report!

Myfirstpubes

what do you guys think about those robot guitars? I think its pretty lame. I think it is part of the guitarist's experience to maintain and tune their guitar. I just think that you're either really lazy or you arent a real musician if you dont know how to tune your guitar without your guitar doing it for you. what do you guys think about those robot guitars?

I think its pretty lame. I think it is part of the guitarist's experience to maintain and tune their guitar. I just think that you're either really lazy or you arent a real musician if you dont know how to tune your guitar without your guitar doing it for you.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 11:10 PM - Quote - Report!

mamosa

Why is a self-tuning guitar lame? It isn't that they don't know how. But I know that tuning from Open G to Standard D is irritating. And I'd rather have my guitar do it for me. The only reason I find the robot lame is that they modeled it after the LP Studio, so it isn't a great guitar. I tried one that I really liked. And the Robot SGs kick ass. But the tuners make them more top heavy IMO. Why is a self-tuning guitar lame? It isn't that they don't know how. But I know that tuning from Open G to Standard D is irritating. And I'd rather have my guitar do it for me. The only reason I find the robot lame is that they modeled it after the LP Studio, so it isn't a great guitar. I tried one that I really liked. And the Robot SGs kick ass. But the tuners make them more top heavy IMO.
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 1:48 PM - Quote - Report!

xHellbound

I guess I'm a new member, joined months ago but never actually checked the group out. Apparently people think I have skills, I don't hear it, but thanks for the add, lol. I guess I'm a new member, joined months ago but never actually checked the group out. Apparently people think I have skills, I don't hear it, but thanks for the add, lol.
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 2:04 PM - Quote - Report!

salmon philippe

I 've got nothing against robots tuners, specialy when you have to get tuned in the noise of a cafe before a concert ... and I wear my strap a bit high , more blues than metal, if the length is too long your twist suffers... I 've got nothing against robots tuners, specialy when you have to get tuned in the noise of a cafe before a concert ...
and I wear my strap a bit high , more blues than metal, if the length is too long your twist suffers...
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 8:52 AM - Quote - Report!

metal105

whats up guys kinda my first post 'apart from the hello'
any ways i play metal blues kinda rock sorta stuff. i ain't great by a long shot and i don't think i'll ever be.lol
anyone wants to add me thats good:D
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.ph p?t=1221066
dunno if this is allowed but heres a track for you guys to hear and i'm more than happy to crit back.
peace dudes
whats up guys kinda my first post 'apart from the hello' any ways i play metal blues kinda rock sorta stuff. i ain't great by a long shot and i don't think i'll ever be.lol anyone wants to add me thats good:D http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221066 dunno if this is allowed but heres a track for you guys to hear and i'm more than happy to crit back. peace dudes
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 8:43 PM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

Hey all! I don't know why I took so long to join, but I am here!
I don't ever play standing up, so I don't know how I will do it. I will have to I guess once I start playing live. There aren't too many sitting rockers! HA:)

Kurt Cobain said that some if not all his back problems was from the weight of his guitar and I bet it was because he had to bend his back strange to play so low strapped. BUT it made him look cool, so! I watched some older, first generation rock bands and ALL of them play with the guitar next to their chin!:) Maybe it was the next generations (punk, metal etc.) that just rebelled against it. So I figure it will come back around, and everyone will be playing HIGH (not that kind of high) strapped.
Being "cool" is just being different, and once the sheep start to follow, it is no longer "cool". What was once in, is out, and what out is in. It should be about the music, but the LARGE amount of music consumers JUDGE on looks, video killed the radio star. THINGS are changing though with the NEW way we are exposed to music, we have so many more options now, no longer do we need to be spoon feed. It is a bit more work, but well worth it.
THANKS for the invite to this wonderful group!
Hey all! I don't know why I took so long to join, but I am here!
I don't ever play standing up, so I don't know how I will do it. I will have to I guess once I start playing live. There aren't too many sitting rockers! HA:)

Kurt Cobain said that some if not all his back problems was from the weight of his guitar and I bet it was because he had to bend his back strange to play so low strapped. BUT it made him look cool, so! I watched some older, first generation rock bands and ALL of them play with the guitar next to their chin!:) Maybe it was the next generations (punk, metal etc.) that just rebelled against it. So I figure it will come back around, and everyone will be playing HIGH (not that kind of high) strapped.
Being "cool" is just being different, and once the sheep start to follow, it is no longer "cool". What was once in, is out, and what out is in. It should be about the music, but the LARGE amount of music consumers JUDGE on looks, video killed the radio star. THINGS are changing though with the NEW way we are exposed to music, we have so many more options now, no longer do we need to be spoon feed. It is a bit more work, but well worth it.
THANKS for the invite to this wonderful group!     
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 12:47 AM - Quote - Report!

jasonggabbott

destinzock wrote on May 25th, 2009 at 4:49pm :
Beep
Beep
Beep

B E E P! :)
[QUOTE u='destinzock' d='2009-05-25 16:49:04']Beep[/QUOTE][QUOTE u='destinzock' d='2009-05-25 16:49:04']Beep[/QUOTE][QUOTE u='destinzock' d='2009-05-25 16:49:04']Beep[/QUOTE] B E E P! :)
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 12:49 AM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand