7 string legion

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Djent... yay or nay?

ProgFripp74

Djent is pretty much a dirty word in metal nowadays...

Is it a genre?

Is it a scene?

Is it a guitar tone?

Is it a technique?

Is it a dent with a misplaced J?

and is it good or just rubbish?
Djent is pretty much a dirty word in metal nowadays...

Is it a genre?

Is it a scene?

Is it a guitar tone?

Is it a technique?

Is it a dent with a misplaced J?

and is it good or just rubbish?
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 9:09 PM - Quote - Report!

Absent Mind

While Djent started out as a sound affect or tone, it is now definately a genre, but some people seem highly resistant to call it that.

If you say to a metal head this song is thrash metal, they will now to expect fast riffs, aggressive vocals etc, if you say to them this is progressive they will expect complex riffs and solos, long instrumental sections etc

If you say djent they will expect not just the djent tone of the guitar but a certain way the riffs are played, often a few thuds on the lowest string followed by a fast riff on some higher strings, tapping sections are also common, ambient and electronic sections I would class as highly popular in djent music and a highly processed sound to all the instruments, etc etc

When someone says djent to me a definately expect many things above just the guitar tone from the song.
While Djent started out as a sound affect or tone, it is now definately a genre, but some people seem highly resistant to call it that. If you say to a metal head this song is thrash metal, they will now to expect fast riffs, aggressive vocals etc, if you say to them this is progressive they will expect complex riffs and solos, long instrumental sections etc If you say djent they will expect not just the djent tone of the guitar but a certain way the riffs are played, often a few thuds on the lowest string followed by a fast riff on some higher strings, tapping sections are also common, ambient and electronic sections I would class as highly popular in djent music and a highly processed sound to all the instruments, etc etc When someone says djent to me a definately expect many things above just the guitar tone from the song.
Posted: Apr 22, 2012 7:18 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand