Ultimate-Guitar LOW-END.

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

How many strings do you prefer?

metalhead515

How many strings do you prefer to have on your bass?

I prefer 5 strings because I love the B string.
How many strings do you prefer to have on your bass?

I prefer 5 strings because I love the B string.
Posted: Oct 18, 2009 5:23 PM - Quote - Report!

Lemurs4mangos

5-- There's some sick stuff you can do with the extra string, especially in Drop D, it gives you a cool spectrum of chords. 5-- There's some sick stuff you can do with the extra string, especially in Drop D, it gives you a cool spectrum of chords.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 12:36 AM - Quote - Report!

dhutton

five, for the two reasons listed above. five, for the two reasons listed above.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 5:35 AM - Quote - Report!

funkbass369

4. im disoriented when the fifth string is added. especially when im slapping. 4. im disoriented when the fifth string is added. especially when im slapping.
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 10:09 PM - Quote - Report!

maXterbat0r

I'm comfortable with 4, 5, and 6. I would like to use a 5/6 for more tapping-oriented playing, or in a power trio/duo setting. I like to use barre chords sometimes in my playing though, and 4 is good for that, I find. I'm comfortable with 4, 5, and 6. I would like to use a 5/6 for more tapping-oriented playing, or in a power trio/duo setting. I like to use barre chords sometimes in my playing though, and 4 is good for that, I find.
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 2:08 AM - Quote - Report!

obeythepenguin

Four. Anything beyond that is just one more string to tune. Four. Anything beyond that is just one more string to tune.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 8:32 PM - Quote - Report!

DeAd-RiP

Fiiiiiiive. I'd love to get my hands on an extended range instrument though. Like 10+ strings. lol
Fiiiiiiive. I'd love to get my hands on an extended range instrument though. Like 10+ strings. lol
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 12:48 AM - Quote - Report!

Uber Man

four, with five, things get to complicated, besides, you can hardly hear the 5th string when you tune as low as i do. four, with five, things get to complicated, besides, you can hardly hear the 5th string when you tune as low as i do.
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 3:03 AM - Quote - Report!

the humanity

4. easier to work with, more pickup options, better feel. 4. easier to work with, more pickup options, better feel.
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 5:05 AM - Quote - Report!

heavyprog

Well, i only have 2 basses: one is a shit 4 string squire. The other is a 6 string ibanez. I love the 6 string, but i might just go to 5 in the future 'cause 6 is a lot. I love that high C though Well, i only have 2 basses: one is a shit 4 string squire. The other is a 6 string ibanez. I love the 6 string, but i might just go to 5 in the future 'cause 6 is a lot. I love that high C though
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 4:51 AM - Quote - Report!

AlanRay81

heavyprog wrote on Nov 7th, 2009 at 11:51pm :
Well, i only have 2 basses: one is a shit 4 string squire. The other is a 6 string ibanez. I love the 6 string, but i might just go to 5 in the future 'cause 6 is a lot. I love that high C though

They may or may not be expensive, BUT I have seen sets of strings for a 5 string bass tuned E-C.
[QUOTE u='heavyprog' d='2009-11-07 23:51:52']Well, i only have 2 basses: one is a shit 4 string squire. The other is a 6 string ibanez. I love the 6 string, but i might just go to 5 in the future 'cause 6 is a lot. I love that high C though[/QUOTE] They may or may not be expensive, BUT I have seen sets of strings for a 5 string bass tuned E-C.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 12:30 AM - Quote - Report!

Andy2k64

5. recently converted from 4 and i love the extended low range. plus the b string is a beast! 5. recently converted from 4 and i love the extended low range. plus the b string is a beast!
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 12:05 PM - Quote - Report!

TS-Genocide

5 string for the extra brutal low end! 5 string for the extra brutal low end!
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 4:49 PM - Quote - Report!

metal_cobs

6 Strings.
You can do so much stuff on a six string -- it's incredible!
6 Strings. You can do so much stuff on a six string -- it's incredible!
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 5:57 AM - Quote - Report!

caveman_bassman

four...i feel like the 5th string is for metal and more hardcore music, and 6 and above is ideal for solo playing where the bass is the focal point with chord intros, ballads, and long tapping parts. Four. four...i feel like the 5th string is for metal and more hardcore music, and 6 and above is ideal for solo playing where the bass is the focal point with chord intros, ballads, and long tapping parts. Four.
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 7:16 PM - Quote - Report!

Gnomefry

5 in jazz band, but usually 4 due to small hands, and playability. 5 in jazz band, but usually 4 due to small hands, and playability.
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 10:59 PM - Quote - Report!

Jarz1000

I'm a big guy, but i still perfer 4 strings. It's smaller and more comfortable. I'm a big guy, but i still perfer 4 strings. It's smaller and more comfortable.
Posted: Apr 3, 2010 8:09 AM - Quote - Report!

lambogojo

4. i get off task when trying to use more. also you can go to drop A with a 4 string. why would you want more than that 4. i get off task when trying to use more. also you can go to drop A with a 4 string. why would you want more than that
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 5:14 PM - Quote - Report!

carrotcake

AlanRay81 wrote on Mar 8th, 2010 at 7:30pm :
They may or may not be expensive, BUT I have seen sets of strings for a 5 string bass tuned E-C.
Or you could get a regular set for a six-string bass and not use the B? O_o
[QUOTE u='AlanRay81' d='2010-03-08 19:30:40'] They may or may not be expensive, BUT I have seen sets of strings for a 5 string bass tuned E-C.[/QUOTE] Or you could get a regular set for a six-string bass and not use the B? O_o
Posted: May 1, 2010 1:35 PM - Quote - Report!

bassfinger

Five is the way to go, you can't get the full spectrum of sound with four Five is the way to go, you can't get the full spectrum of sound with four
Posted: May 17, 2010 12:50 PM - Quote - Report!

BushMasterFlex

i love to slap the 5 string over the 4. the 4 sting is a bit easier to play but that extra fat string sounds amazing! i love to slap the 5 string over the 4. the 4 sting is a bit easier to play but that extra fat string sounds amazing!
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 3:59 PM - Quote - Report!

corn789

It all depends on what im playing. like if im playing more rock oriented stuff i pefer to use a 5 string. But if im doing a more funkish groove i like using a 4 string to slap It all depends on what im playing. like if im playing more rock oriented stuff i pefer to use a 5 string. But if im doing a more funkish groove i like using a 4 string to slap
Posted: Jun 17, 2010 6:49 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand