Metal

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Best Metal Drummers

Engage Silence

What is your favorite Metal drummer. What Metal drummer do you consider the best. What is your favorite metal drum solo. What is your favorite Metal drummer.  What Metal drummer do you consider the best.  What is your favorite metal drum solo.
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 4:05 AM - Quote - Report!

Engage Silence

By the way...
Favorite drummer: Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) or Lars Umlat (Metallica)
Best Drummer: either Jason Bittner (Shadows Fall) or Jason Costa (All that Remains)
Best Drum Solo: Rat Salad - Black Sabbath: There's like a minute long free for all solo,
OR: Supernaut - Black Sabbath: There's a fun little precussion solo after the guitar solo.
By the way...
Best Drummer: either Jason Bittner (Shadows Fall) or Jason Costa (All that Remains)
Best Drum Solo: Rat Salad - Black Sabbath: There's like a minute long free for all solo,
OR: Supernaut - Black Sabbath: There's a fun little precussion solo after the guitar solo.
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 4:11 AM - Quote - Report!

ctb

Thomas Haake is a fantastic drummer. Thomas Haake is a fantastic drummer.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 12:51 PM - Quote - Report!

kkimm07

danny carey (tool), pushit live has some of the best drums ive ever heard danny carey (tool), pushit live has some of the best drums ive ever heard
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 8:30 PM - Quote - Report!

CaptnWar

INFERNO Zbigniew Promiński: BEHEMOTH
Nicholas Barker: Dimmu Borgir is the stuff I know of his, although he is/was a part of many bands
Gene Hoglan: DEATH, again part of many bands
Pete The Feet Sandoval: Morbid Angel
Richard Christy: more DEATH

But my favourite drummer has to be the guy from MLTAR, Eric Ferns. I have been living with this guy for over a year, listening to them jam out three times a week, the stuff still gives me goosebumps. Yes he is my bf, still there is no one around Ontario, Canada that can come close to his skill.
INFERNO Zbigniew Promiński: BEHEMOTH
Nicholas Barker: Dimmu Borgir is the stuff I know of his, although he is/was a part of many bands
Gene Hoglan: DEATH, again part of many bands
Pete The Feet Sandoval: Morbid Angel
Richard Christy: more DEATH

But my favourite drummer has to be the guy from MLTAR, Eric Ferns. I have been living with this guy for over a year, listening to them jam out three times a week, the stuff still gives me goosebumps. Yes he is my bf, still there is no one around Ontario, Canada that can come close to his skill.
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 7:04 PM - Quote - Report!

Shortay

Engage Silence wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 11:11pm :
By the way...
I believe it's ULRICH
By the way...
I believe it's ULRICH
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 1:49 AM - Quote - Report!

CaptnWar

Ulrich has some timing issues. Older stuff they took more time with it, but the last couple albums seems like they just rushed to have them complete. Double kick stuff mainly gets a bit rushed and he loses a beat every once and awhile.
And what the hell was he doing with his snareless snare on St. Anger? Doesn't that just make it another weird ass tom?
Bu t they still make money so something must be working for them.
Plus take a look at the drummer from Queen, they could totally be father and son.
Ulrich has some timing issues. Older stuff they took more time with it, but the last couple albums seems like they just rushed to have them complete. Double kick stuff mainly gets a bit rushed and he loses a beat every once and awhile.
And what the hell was he doing with his snareless snare on St. Anger? Doesn't that just make it another weird ass tom?
Bu t they still make money so something must be working for them.
Plus take a look at the drummer from Queen, they could totally be father and son.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:03 PM - Quote - Report!

mr freezy

Gene Holgan. Gene Holgan.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 6:51 PM - Quote - Report!

dethbymetal

lars ulrich but back in the 80s lars ulrich but back in the 80s
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 8:13 PM - Quote - Report!

dio_dude

dave lombardo or charlie from anthrax dave lombardo or charlie from anthrax
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 8:22 AM - Quote - Report!

xHellbound

kkimm07 wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 3:30pm :
danny carey (tool), pushit live has some of the best drums ive ever heard

I agree, Danny Carey is definitely among the greatest.

Best drum work in a song has to be either Lateralus, Rat Salad, or Holy Solos (Live).

And best drum solo was during Lateralus, there was a "drum-off" between Danny Carey and the Melt Banana drummer (a terrible terrible band). Tied with that is Alice Cooper and Queensryche, 3 drummers on one drum set doing a solo.
kkimm07 wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 3:30pm :
danny carey (tool), pushit live has some of the best drums ive ever heard

I agree, Danny Carey is definitely among the greatest.

Best drum work in a song has to be either Lateralus, Rat Salad, or Holy Solos (Live).

And best drum solo was during Lateralus, there was a "drum-off" between Danny Carey and the Melt Banana drummer (a terrible terrible band). Tied with that is Alice Cooper and Queensryche, 3 drummers on one drum set doing a solo.
Posted: May 5, 2008 5:59 PM - Quote - Report!

EmancipatedSoul

Danny Carey definitely.

Inferno from Behemoth is brilliant although he sticks to the same drum structure.

Any of the drummers that have played for Necrophagist have been good, don't remember the names.

The drummer for Anorexia Nervosa is ultimate. It's a black metal band and I don't know his name, but seriously, that guy is hectic.

Hellhammer maybe?
Danny Carey definitely. 

Inferno from Behemoth is brilliant although he sticks to the same drum structure.

Any of the drummers that have played for Necrophagist have been good, don't remember the names.

The drummer for Anorexia Nervosa is ultimate. It's a black metal band and I don't know his name, but seriously, that guy is hectic.

Hellhammer maybe?
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 6:18 PM - Quote - Report!

dio_dude

ben carter from evile is a damn good drummer. if you haven't heard evile, check them out NOW ben carter from evile is a damn good drummer. if you haven't heard evile, check them out NOW
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 5:51 AM - Quote - Report!

MyNameIsLame

Frost. 'Nuff said. Frost. 'Nuff said.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 6:27 AM - Quote - Report!

alcazar

John Macaluso from Ark and Bobby Jarzombek from Spastic ink, Riot,... John Macaluso from Ark and Bobby Jarzombek from Spastic ink, Riot,...
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 2:56 PM - Quote - Report!

Sivert95

I think John Dolmayan(The drummer of System of a Down and Scars oon Broadway) is a great metal drummer I think John Dolmayan(The drummer of System of a Down and Scars oon Broadway) is a great metal drummer
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 9:32 PM - Quote - Report!

postmortem2006

dio_dude wrote on Jun 6th, 2008 at 12:51am :
ben carter from evile is a damn good drummer. if you haven't heard evile, check them out NOW

Ypou've learnt well young one

+1
[QUOTE u='dio_dude' d='2008-06-06 00:51:45']ben carter from evile is a damn good drummer. if you haven't heard evile, check them out NOW[/QUOTE]

Ypou've learnt well young one

+1
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 1:55 AM - Quote - Report!

Punisher11292

Danny Carey / Dave Lombardo = Win. Danny Carey / Dave Lombardo = Win.
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 1:53 AM - Quote - Report!

Metal Maggo

1.) Dave Lombardo
2.) Mike Portnoy
3.) Joey Jordison
1.) Dave Lombardo
2.) Mike Portnoy
3.) Joey Jordison
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 9:49 AM - Quote - Report!

Leadguitarkid

Igor Cavalera (Sepultura) Igor Cavalera (Sepultura)
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 10:48 AM - Quote - Report!

CaptnWar

what about that Romain Goulon guy from necrophagist what about that Romain Goulon guy from necrophagist
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 11:10 PM - Quote - Report!

xMeTaL_BmXeRx

i would have to say danny carey....he is just f***in awesome i would have to say danny carey....he is just f***in awesome
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 5:48 PM - Quote - Report!

HELLAWAITS88

Joey Jordinson or Chris Adler Joey Jordinson or Chris Adler
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 8:46 PM - Quote - Report!

Acidious_T

Gene Hoglan, that man is a machine. Richard Christie, too. Way too many more to name. Check this link out, this is an old buddy of mine. he's pretty tight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOmQ2_FUmuA Gene Hoglan, that man is a machine.
Richard Christie, too.
Way too many more to name.
Check this link out, this is an old buddy of mine. he's pretty tight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOmQ2_FUmuA
Posted: May 8, 2009 3:30 PM - Quote - Report!

kattaway96

Dave Lombardo, Vinnie Abbot, there are probably more but I can't think of them right now. Dave Lombardo, Vinnie Abbot, there are probably more but I can't think of them right now.
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 4:47 PM - Quote - Report!

Alienepidemic25

The Rev maybe.....Lars Ulrich...... The Rev maybe.....Lars Ulrich......
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 3:30 PM - Quote - Report!

Echoplex

Mike Portnoy or the guy from devolved. Mike Portnoy or the guy from devolved.
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 6:13 PM - Quote - Report!

Eternal_w

Chris Adler anyone? Chris Adler anyone?
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 9:38 PM - Quote - Report!

2mins2midnite

gene holgan flo guy from necrphagist gene holgan
flo
guy from necrphagist
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 9:50 PM - Quote - Report!

pataldo

Alienepidemic25 wrote on Jul 25th, 2009 at 10:30am :
The Rev maybe.....Lars Ulrich......
LOL! I'd say Gene Hoglan and Chris Adler.
LOL!
I'd say Gene Hoglan and Chris Adler.
Posted: Jul 26, 2009 7:39 AM - Quote - Report!

vinnym86

TOP 15 (IN NO ORDER)
Danny Carey (Tool).
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater).
Scott Travis (Judas Priest).
Charlie Benante (Anthrax).
Gene Hoglan (Dark Angel).
Brann Dailor (Mastodon).
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy).
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah).
Steve DiGiorgio (Testament).
Iggor Cavalera (Sepultura).
Vinnie Paul (Pantera).
Chris Adler (Lamb of God).
Dave Lombardo (Slayer).
Tom Hunting (Exodus).
Joey Jordison (Slipknot).

THE WORST DRUMMER IN METAL
Lars Ulrich. (Metallica)
-ANYONE who disagrees is a goddamn idiot. The band would be a proper thrash band if they just replaced the slow, unimpressive dolt. Death Magnetic could have been SO much better if it weren't for his horribly lacking skills. He makes a fine rock drummer, suitable for 90's-era Metallica. Now that they want to be thrash again, he needs to step his game up. Just compare him to the other Big 5 thrash drummers; Benante, Lombardo, Hunting, DiGiorgio... Lars fucking SUCKS, and Metallica suffers for it.
TOP 15 (IN NO ORDER)
Danny Carey (Tool).
Brann Dailor (Mastodon).
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy).
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah).
Vinnie Paul (Pantera).
Dave Lombardo (Slayer).
Tom Hunting (Exodus).

Lars Ulrich. (Metallica)
-ANYONE who disagrees is a goddamn idiot. The band would be a proper thrash band if they just replaced the slow, unimpressive dolt. Death Magnetic could have been SO much better if it weren't for his horribly lacking skills. He makes a fine rock drummer, suitable for 90's-era Metallica. Now that they want to be thrash again, he needs to step his game up. Just compare him to the other Big 5 thrash drummers; Benante, Lombardo, Hunting, DiGiorgio... Lars fucking SUCKS, and Metallica suffers for it.
Posted: Jul 26, 2009 8:31 AM - Quote - Report!

BushMasterFlex

I think its obviously Joey Jodison from SlipKnoT. Iv never seen a man rock out on the drums with such presission and speed. A close second would have to be Neil Pert (i think thats his name) from Rush, but i dont hink there considerd metal. there more progressive rock I think its obviously Joey Jodison from SlipKnoT. Iv never seen a man rock out on the drums with such presission and speed. A close second would have to be Neil Pert (i think thats his name) from Rush, but i dont hink there considerd metal. there more progressive rock
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 11:28 PM - Quote - Report!

BushMasterFlex

oh and chris adler is prety coo to! oh and chris adler is prety coo to!
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 11:29 PM - Quote - Report!

Quantonyne

George Kollias from Nile. George Kollias from Nile.
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 11:53 PM - Quote - Report!

eteam_sammy4him

Isaac Bueno of Impending Doom. Hands down, Isaac Bueno of Impending Doom. Hands down,
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 1:26 AM - Quote - Report!

mjerue

chris adler chris adler
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 4:18 AM - Quote - Report!

Metal4themasses

mjerue wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:18pm :
chris adler
YEAH!!! Chris Adler is awesome
mjerue wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:18pm :
chris adler
YEAH!!! Chris Adler is awesome
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 4:45 AM - Quote - Report!

BornToRun

Teppo "Kake" Velin of Stam1na Teppo "Kake" Velin of Stam1na
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 2:58 PM - Quote - Report!

adamiski

Chris Adler or Hellhammer Chris Adler or Hellhammer
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 3:09 PM - Quote - Report!

Metal4themasses

vinnym86 wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 3:31am :
TOP 15 (IN NO ORDER)
Danny Carey (Tool).
Brann Dailor (Mastodon).
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy).
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah).
Vinnie Paul (Pantera).
Dave Lombardo (Slayer).
Tom Hunting (Exodus).

Lars Ulrich. (Metallica)
Lars is not the worst, there are way worse drummers.:rolleyes: But I will agree, he could be MUCH better, and if he's holding Metallica back, then hopefully he'll get better. But it's all opinion, I guess.
[QUOTE u='vinnym86' d='2009-07-26 03:31:23']TOP 15 (IN NO ORDER)
Danny Carey (Tool).
Brann Dailor (Mastodon).
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy).
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah).
Vinnie Paul (Pantera).
Dave Lombardo (Slayer).
Tom Hunting (Exodus).

Lars Ulrich. (Metallica)
[/QUOTE]Lars is not the worst, there are way worse drummers.:rolleyes: But I will agree, he could be MUCH better, and if he's holding Metallica back, then hopefully he'll get better. But it's all opinion, I guess.
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 2:01 PM - Quote - Report!

Echoplex

^Lars is also the biggest douche in Metallica, with James coming in at a close 2nd ^Lars is also the biggest douche in Metallica, with James coming in at a close 2nd
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 4:16 PM - Quote - Report!

sk8ordie97

tons of these bands arent even real metal when it comes down to it, its george kollias(nile) inferno(behemoth) and adler (LoG) tons of these bands arent even real metal

when it comes down to it, its george kollias(nile) inferno(behemoth) and adler (LoG)
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 6:34 AM - Quote - Report!

CrimsonBizzare

sk8ordie97 wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 1:34am :
tons of these bands arent even real metal

when it comes down to it, its george kollias(nile) inferno(behemoth) and adler (LoG)
And LoG are real metal?

And LoG are real metal?
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 1:34 PM - Quote - Report!

Firering56

By the way...
did you just refer Lars Ulrich as Lars Umlat? Who the Fudge is Lars Umlat?
By the way...

did you just refer Lars Ulrich as Lars Umlat?
Who the Fudge is Lars Umlat?
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 5:50 PM - Quote - Report!

metalhead_c-1

Mike Portnoy or Joey Jordinson Mike Portnoy or Joey Jordinson
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 11:53 PM - Quote - Report!

pataldo

Firering56 wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 12:50pm :
By the way...

Isnt that the fat viking guy from Guitar Hero?
Firering56 wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 12:50pm :
By the way...

Isnt that the fat viking guy from Guitar Hero?
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 8:47 AM - Quote - Report!

angusslashdime

Danny Carey, Gene Hoglan, Chris Adler, Raymond Herrera - cant spell it - (Fear Factory dude) LOG is metal because its certainly isnt pop blues rock funk or electro Danny Carey, Gene Hoglan, Chris Adler, Raymond Herrera - cant spell it - (Fear Factory dude)

LOG is metal because its certainly isnt pop blues rock funk or electro
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 12:40 AM - Quote - Report!

metallica4life_

Why are people saying Lamb of God isn't metal? Aren't they New Wave of American Heavy Metal? What are they if they're not metal? Why are people saying Lamb of God isn't metal? Aren't they New Wave of American Heavy Metal? What are they if they're not metal?
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 1:56 AM - Quote - Report!

Echoplex

metallica4life_ wrote on Aug 7th, 2009 at 8:56pm :
Why are people saying Lamb of God isn't metal? Aren't they New Wave of American Heavy Metal? What are they if they're not metal?
The "New Wave of American Heavy Metal" generally refers to metalcore, which is actually a type of Hardcore. Lamb of God used to be groove metal in their early days, but their recent releases have been metalcore.
Why are people saying Lamb of God isn't metal? Aren't they New Wave of American Heavy Metal? What are they if they're not metal?
The "New Wave of American Heavy Metal" generally refers to metalcore, which is actually a type of Hardcore. Lamb of God used to be groove metal in their early days, but their recent releases have been metalcore.
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 2:44 AM - Quote - Report!

metallica4life_

Echoplex wrote on Aug 7th, 2009 at 9:44pm :
Ooh, thanks for the information... 'Cause I thought NWOAHM included bands like Mastodon, Lamb of God, Machine Head, etc.

Ooh, thanks for the information... 'Cause I thought NWOAHM included bands like Mastodon, Lamb of God, Machine Head, etc.
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 2:47 AM - Quote - Report!

Echoplex

I think it does, but NWOAHM is a more general term than "NWOBHM," which has a more distinctive sound. I think it does, but NWOAHM is a more general term than "NWOBHM," which has a more distinctive sound.
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 4:29 AM - Quote - Report!

angusslashdime

IMO lamb of god mastodon and machine head (even though they have been around for quite some time) are a part of the NWOAHM

I wouldnt say metalcore is a type of hardcore they just both have a -core element

Core (noun): a) The central or innermost part. b) The basic or most important part; the essence. Either of these definitions would be appropriate to describe the character of -Core Metals. Basically the "core" is Hardcore Punk, with elements of Metal wrapped around it. Thrashcore, Deathcore, Grindcore, and Metalcore are the common forms with the last being the most prolific. The music uses metal influenced guitar riffing along with aggressive Thrash or Death Grunt styled vocals, but the song structures retain the simplicity of Punk. Guitars are present but they are greatly down tuned, and the riffs are heavy but uncomplicated (doesnt sound much like LOG at all). As in Nu-metal virtuosity is not a necessity, because solos are mostly absent. Drumming provides a heavy but simple beat.
Metalcore has existed since the late 1980's, and was formerly called Crossover since that's technically what it is. Metalcore's popularity has been on the rise since the turn of the century, and it is poised to supplant Nu-metal as the dominant form of heavy music. Metalcore is incredibly heavy mosh-pit music; however, as with Nu-metal the debate rages about whether it should be considered a legitimate from of Metal, or dismissed as the latest fad music for "Mallcore" kids.

stolen from http://www.metaltemple.us/page8_4.html
IMO lamb of god mastodon and machine head (even though they have been around for quite some time) are a part of the NWOAHM

I wouldnt say metalcore is a type of hardcore they just both have a -core element

Core (noun): a) The central or innermost part. b) The basic or most important part; the essence. Either of these definitions would be appropriate to describe the character of -Core Metals. Basically the "core" is Hardcore Punk, with elements of Metal wrapped around it. Thrashcore, Deathcore, Grindcore, and Metalcore are the common forms with the last being the most prolific. The music uses metal influenced guitar riffing along with aggressive Thrash or Death Grunt styled vocals, but the song structures retain the simplicity of Punk. Guitars are present but they are greatly down tuned, and the riffs are heavy but uncomplicated (doesnt sound much like LOG at all). As in Nu-metal virtuosity is not a necessity, because solos are mostly absent. Drumming provides a heavy but simple beat.
            Metalcore has existed since the late 1980's, and was formerly called Crossover since that's technically what it is. Metalcore's popularity has been on the rise since the turn of the century, and it is poised to supplant Nu-metal as the dominant form of heavy music. Metalcore is incredibly heavy mosh-pit music; however, as with Nu-metal the debate rages about whether it should be considered a legitimate from of Metal, or dismissed as the latest fad music for "Mallcore" kids.

stolen from http://www.metaltemple.us/page8_4.html
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 10:10 AM - Quote - Report!

angusslashdime

what does it matter if it sounds 'professional' and its not generally describing metalcore, metalcore is a step away from the simple punk formula that hardcore music is based on and lamb of god isnt one step away from harcore like most metalcore bands are.

and why are you arguing the article i used isnt professional when you used wiki i doubt the wiki article was written by any musicologists

Did you read it all paragraph 1 is about hardcore and paragraph 2 is about metalcore

and i know not all metalcore sounds the same but stylistically they are similar and have similar elements just like all punk doesnt sound the same or all jazz doesnt sound the same. you dont really have a point or argument to back up your claims, your just saying im wrong. thats pretty easy to do now isnt it.
what does it matter if it sounds 'professional' and its not generally describing metalcore, metalcore is a step away from the simple punk formula that hardcore music is based on and lamb of god isnt one step away from harcore like most metalcore bands are.

and why are you arguing the article i used isnt professional when you used wiki i doubt the wiki article was written by any musicologists

Did you read it all paragraph 1 is about hardcore and paragraph 2 is about metalcore

and i know not all metalcore sounds the same but stylistically they are similar and have similar elements just like all punk doesnt sound the same or all jazz doesnt sound the same. you dont really have a point or argument to back up your claims, your just saying im wrong. thats pretty easy to do now isnt it.
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 1:25 AM - Quote - Report!

Echoplex

Well, As I Lay Dying and A Day to Remember are both considered "Metalcore," but there are HUGE sound differences because their influences are different. Likewise, Lamb of God has different influences than most metalcore bands, and therefore sound different. Also, the vocalist has a very distinct screaming tone, which helps Lamb of God sound unique. Just because a band sounds unique does not mean it gets it can't fit into a genre. Well, As I Lay Dying and A Day to Remember are both considered "Metalcore," but there are HUGE sound differences because their influences are different. Likewise, Lamb of God has different influences than most metalcore bands, and therefore sound different. Also, the vocalist has a very distinct screaming tone, which helps Lamb of God sound unique. Just because a band sounds unique does not mean it gets it can't fit into a genre.
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 2:32 AM - Quote - Report!

angusslashdime

im not saying it doesnt fit in a genre. i know there a huge sound difference but its about the formula or fundamentals of that genre. what i mean is folk metal can sound like black metal but the fundamentals are what separates them. same with speed and thrash they can sound similar but their fundamentals separate them musically im not saying it doesnt fit in a genre. i know there a huge sound difference but its about the formula or fundamentals of that genre. what i mean is folk metal can sound like black metal but the fundamentals are what separates them. same with speed and thrash they can sound similar but their fundamentals separate them musically
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 2:47 AM - Quote - Report!

angusslashdime

this separation can be as simple as ideology or lyrical content this separation can be as simple as ideology or lyrical content
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 2:49 AM - Quote - Report!

Echoplex

Well, metalcore doesn't seem to have a "fixed" lyrical content. The types of metalcore closer to post-hardcore (or "Emo") music tend to be about bad relationships, whereas the lyrics to the more metal-sounding metalcore (KsE, AILD, LoG if you consider them metalcore) make no damn sense most of the time. It seems as if these bands want to impress us with their vocabulary but neglect any sentence structure. (For example, the lyrics to "Not Alone" by All That Remains, "Descending" by Lamb of God, or "My Curse" by Killswitch Engage don't make much sense at all. The song as a whole might have a meaning, but most of the lyrics are just filler)

EDIT: ON the topic of LoG's "distinction because of Ideology or lyrics," they touch on subjects more particular to metal than the average metalcore band, but they aren't as direct as metal lyrics tend to be. As an example, "Now you've got something to die for" is a political song, but its difficult to tell exactly what it is about. Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction" is also polital, but the lyrics are more forthright, and it is easy to tell that it describes the corruption of power.
Well, metalcore doesn't seem to have a "fixed" lyrical content. The types of metalcore closer to post-hardcore (or "Emo") music tend to be about bad relationships, whereas the lyrics to the more metal-sounding metalcore (KsE, AILD, LoG if you consider them metalcore) make no damn sense most of the time. It seems as if these bands want to impress us with their vocabulary but neglect any sentence structure. (For example, the lyrics to "Not Alone" by All That Remains, "Descending" by Lamb of God, or "My Curse" by Killswitch Engage don't make much sense at all. The song as a whole might have a meaning, but most of the lyrics are just filler)

EDIT: ON the topic of LoG's "distinction because of Ideology or lyrics," they touch on subjects more particular to metal than the average metalcore band, but they aren't as direct as metal lyrics tend to be. As an example, "Now you've got something to die for" is a political song, but its difficult to tell exactly what it is about. Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction" is also polital, but the lyrics are more forthright, and it is easy to tell that it describes the corruption of power. 
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 3:20 AM - Quote - Report!

angusslashdime

descending is about addiction i pretty sure most LOG lyrics have a message randy alludes to alot of other stories or situations and uses alot of intertextual reference. but i wasnt saying that lyrical content divides all genres im am saying that something as small as lyrical content can in many different contexts. e.g if i played in a band that sounded just like a typical black metal band but i sung about god and his almighty good stuffness then it would be christian metal but i dont want to take this out of context to much im just trying to say how small things can have a huge effect on the genre of a band descending is about addiction i pretty sure most LOG lyrics have a message randy alludes to alot of other stories or situations and uses alot of intertextual reference.

but i wasnt saying that lyrical content divides all genres im am saying that something as small as lyrical content can in many different contexts. e.g if i played in a band that sounded just like a typical black metal band but i sung about god and his almighty good stuffness then it would be christian metal

but i dont want to take this out of context to much im just trying to say how small things can have a huge effect on the genre of a band
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 3:29 AM - Quote - Report!

angusslashdime

i never said their distinction was ideology or lyrics (even though i dont see much allusion to greek mythology in any metalcore songs) i said that ideology can be a defining factor in all music and genres. i never said their distinction was ideology or lyrics (even though i dont see much allusion to greek mythology in any metalcore songs) i said that ideology can be a defining factor in all music and genres.
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 8:07 AM - Quote - Report!

vinnym86

metallica4life_ wrote on Aug 7th, 2009 at 9:47pm :

NWoAH isn't a genre, as it's been told already. It is simply a new generation of heavy music from the 80's scene, after grunge "killed metal" (which it didn't). That Wiki article has changed SO frequently over the years. It's bullshit, for the most part. In my opinion, NWoAH should not even exist as a label, so forget it does. It doesn't exist. There is no such thing.
There are so many different genres bunched up under that label that regarding it as a genre is just ASININE. Artists who are included in this moronic grouping range from genres of Rap-rock, hardcore, metalcore, nu-metal, thrash metal, groove metal, hardcore punk, and Sludge. All very, very different sounding genres with little if anything in common. seriously asinine.
[QUOTE u='metallica4life_' d='2009-08-07 21:47:44']

Ooh, thanks for the information... 'Cause I thought NWOAHM included bands like Mastodon, Lamb of God, Machine Head, etc.[/QUOTE]

NWoAH isn't a genre, as it's been told already. It is simply a new generation of heavy music from the 80's scene, after grunge "killed metal" (which it didn't). That Wiki article has changed SO frequently over the years. It's bullshit, for the most part. In my opinion, NWoAH should not even exist as a label, so forget it does. It doesn't exist. There is no such thing.
There are so many different genres bunched up under that label that regarding it as a genre is just ASININE. Artists who are included in this moronic grouping range from genres of Rap-rock, hardcore, metalcore, nu-metal, thrash metal, groove metal, hardcore punk, and Sludge. All very, very different sounding genres with little if anything in common. seriously asinine.
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 7:00 AM - Quote - Report!

angusslashdime

that sounds just about right that sounds just about right
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 10:16 AM - Quote - Report!

Echoplex

vinnym86 wrote on Aug 10th, 2009 at 2:00am :
NWoAH isn't a genre, as it's been told already. It is simply a new generation of heavy music from the 80's scene, after grunge "killed metal" (which it didn't).
Grunge tried to kill the metal... But they failed as they were smite to the ground.

NWoAH isn't a genre, as it's been told already. It is simply a new generation of heavy music from the 80's scene, after grunge "killed metal" (which it didn't).

Grunge tried to kill the metal... But they failed as they were smite to the ground.
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 2:20 PM - Quote - Report!

unregistered_1036021

By the way...
It's ULRICH, you are mixing his name with the fat guy on the guitar hero games lol. --- I think that slipnot drummer is a pretty good drummer. And Lars Ulrich is decent.
By the way...

It's ULRICH, you are mixing his name with the fat guy on the guitar hero games lol.
---
I think that slipnot drummer is a pretty good drummer. And Lars Ulrich is decent.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 11:03 AM - Quote - Report!

unregistered_1095653

My favorite metal drummer has always been Joey Jordison, but I don't know too much about drummers, but my favorite just drummer is Travis Barker. My favorite metal drummer has always been Joey Jordison, but I don't know too much about drummers, but my favorite just drummer is Travis Barker.
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 11:12 AM - Quote - Report!

Mr.Torture

My favorite drummers are Iain Finlay and Jrg Michael. I remember Finlay from Running Wild and album "death or glory". He is so comprehensive or whatever the word is. Just listen the song "riding the storm" from album "death or glory" and you'll see what I mean. Jrg Michael is very reliable. He will play whatever he has been told to play. I remember him from running wild and stratovarius. Matthias "Metal Machine" Liebetruth is very good drummer and i only know this solo from him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Penbq5UKKhM
My favorite drummers are Iain Finlay and Jrg Michael. I remember Finlay from Running Wild and album "death or glory". He is so comprehensive or whatever the word is. Just listen the song "riding the storm" from album "death or glory" and you'll see what I mean. Jrg Michael is very reliable. He will play whatever he has been told to play. I remember him from running wild and stratovarius. Matthias "Metal Machine" Liebetruth is very good drummer and i only know this solo from him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Penbq5UKKhM
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 4:21 PM - Quote - Report!

XxDethmetalxX

Inferno ov Behemoth Inferno ov Behemoth
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 5:59 AM - Quote - Report!

EmancipatedSoul

XxDethmetalxX wrote on Aug 14th, 2009 at 12:59am :
Inferno ov Behemoth
After listening to Evangelion every single day after it came out; I will have to agree there. Inferno is one of the (if not THE) best drummer(s) in the world.
XxDethmetalxX wrote on Aug 14th, 2009 at 12:59am :
Inferno ov Behemoth

After listening to Evangelion every single day after it came out; I will have to agree there. Inferno is one of the (if not THE) best drummer(s) in the world.
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 5:26 PM - Quote - Report!

Guitar_Kingdom

Hellhammer Hellhammer
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 7:20 PM - Quote - Report!

kattaway96

Fail. Lars is terrible
[QUOTE u='Alienepidemic25' d='2009-07-25 10:30:27']The Rev maybe.....Lars Ulrich......[/QUOTE] Fail. Lars is terrible
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 4:54 PM - Quote - Report!

droppedasachild

my favs are mike portnoy from dream theater and then vinnie from pantera. my favs are mike portnoy from dream theater and then vinnie from pantera.
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 9:11 PM - Quote - Report!

gohmanlespaul89

Chris Adler. Hands down Chris Adler. Hands down
Posted: Dec 19, 2009 11:45 AM - Quote - Report!

KoK_Guitarist

Dave Lombardo or Gene Hoglan Dave Lombardo or Gene Hoglan
Posted: Oct 15, 2010 6:59 AM - Quote - Report!

Jon777

Gotta love Henrik Ohlsson. Gotta love Henrik Ohlsson.
Posted: Oct 15, 2010 7:03 AM - Quote - Report!

Xhale1

Gene Holgan or Nick Menza Gene Holgan or Nick Menza
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 7:10 AM - Quote - Report!

Sakke

Dave Lombardo, Vesa Ranta, Daniel Erlandsson, Pekka Kasari, Jaska Raatikainen, Petri Sankala, Janne Kusmin, Kai Hahto, Fredrik Andersson, Toni Hallio, Hellhammer... Dave Lombardo, Vesa Ranta, Daniel Erlandsson, Pekka Kasari, Jaska Raatikainen, Petri Sankala, Janne Kusmin, Kai Hahto, Fredrik Andersson, Toni Hallio, Hellhammer...
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 3:17 PM - Quote - Report!

AJSaw

Inferno, Tomas Haake, Gene Hoglan, Portnoy, Pickles

But if I have to pick just 1, Pickles.
Inferno, Tomas Haake, Gene Hoglan, Portnoy, Pickles But if I have to pick just 1, Pickles.
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 12:46 AM - Quote - Report!

GigOo

lars ulrich (Metallica) lars ulrich (Metallica)
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 2:47 PM - Quote - Report!

Nick92Slayer

Dave Lombardo, Mike portnoy... or John Boecklin (DevilDriver), man he has good rythym, best in "I've Been Sober" Dave Lombardo, Mike portnoy... or John Boecklin (DevilDriver), man he has good rythym, best in "I've Been Sober"
Posted: Apr 22, 2011 10:42 PM - Quote - Report!

timostrike

John Dolmayan from System of a Down John Dolmayan from System of a Down
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 8:04 PM - Quote - Report!

THEMAINRIFF

my friend bryan is one of the best drummers ive ever seen my friend bryan is one of the best drummers ive ever seen
Posted: Apr 27, 2011 4:37 PM - Quote - Report!

patbuck2

Danny Carey. Danny Carey. Lateralus or 46&2. Danny Carey. Danny Carey. Lateralus or 46&2.
Posted: Jul 1, 2011 12:24 AM - Quote - Report!

TJS09

vinnym86 wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 3:31am :
TOP 15 (IN NO ORDER)
Danny Carey (Tool).

Brann Dailor (Mastodon).

Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy).

Tomas Haake (Meshuggah).

Vinnie Paul (Pantera).

Dave Lombardo (Slayer).

Tom Hunting (Exodus).

Lars Ulrich. (Metallica)
Steve DiGiorgio isn't a drummer, he is a bassist, however he is probably the best metal bassist there is.
[QUOTE u='vinnym86' d='2009-07-26 03:31:23']TOP 15 (IN NO ORDER)
Danny Carey (Tool).
Brann Dailor (Mastodon).
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy).
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah).
Vinnie Paul (Pantera).
Dave Lombardo (Slayer).
Tom Hunting (Exodus).

Lars Ulrich. (Metallica)
[/QUOTE] Steve DiGiorgio isn't a drummer, he is a bassist, however he is probably the best metal bassist there is.
Posted: Nov 12, 2011 2:26 AM - Quote - Report!

TJS09

Also, Sean Reinert hasn't been mentioned onca on this thread, check out his work with his band Cynic. He also did the drums on the Death album Human with his fellow Cynic bandmate Paul Masvidal on guitar. I also like Brann Dailor from Mastodon alot, and you can't go wrong with Tomas Hawke Also, Sean Reinert hasn't been mentioned onca on this thread, check out his work with his band Cynic. He also did the drums on the Death album Human with his fellow Cynic bandmate Paul Masvidal on guitar. I also like Brann Dailor from Mastodon alot, and you can't go wrong with Tomas Hawke
Posted: Nov 12, 2011 2:36 AM - Quote - Report!

tume

nick nick NIIIICK ... Nick Menza, Kai Hahto and Shawn Drover. nick nick NIIIICK ... Nick Menza, Kai Hahto and Shawn Drover.
Posted: Nov 13, 2011 4:35 PM - Quote - Report!

MaddMann274

Chris Adler (Lamb Of God)
Joey Jordison (Slipknot)
Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
Mike Portnoy

I don't know many drummers, but I love these guys! :D
Chris Adler (Lamb Of God) Joey Jordison (Slipknot) Brann Dailor (Mastodon) Mike Portnoy I don't know many drummers, but I love these guys! :D
Posted: Nov 14, 2011 10:23 AM - Quote - Report!

meta1head69

in no paticular order...
romain goulon (necrophagist)
tomas haake (meshuggah)
joey jordison (slipknot)
paul bostaph (slayer)
ben harclerode (whitechapel)
oh, and all the drummers from, death ;)
in no paticular order... romain goulon (necrophagist) tomas haake (meshuggah) joey jordison (slipknot) paul bostaph (slayer) ben harclerode (whitechapel) oh, and all the drummers from, death ;)
Posted: Dec 6, 2011 4:52 PM - Quote - Report!

Dukey

Let's see...

Vinnie Paul Abbott, Nick Menza, Scott Travis, Gene Hoglan, Dave Lombardo, Mike Portnoy, Lars Ulrich (yes - he's not the best. no - he's not so bad.), Igor Cavalera... I probably forgot somebody there.

Echoplex wrote on Aug 10th, 2009 at 9:20am :

Though I respect the quoted song and Tenacious D, Grunge is a kind of Metal!
Grunge is Metal as much as Thrash Metal due to both being a mixture of Metal and Punk.
Listen to Alice In Chains or Soundgarden and you'll realize it yourself! (BTW Sean Kinney and Matt Cameron are f**king awesome drummers)

CrimsonBizzare wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 8:34am :

And LoG are real metal?

XD, totally agree...
Let's see... Vinnie Paul Abbott, Nick Menza, Scott Travis, Gene Hoglan, Dave Lombardo, Mike Portnoy, Lars Ulrich (yes - he's not the best. no - he's not so bad.), Igor Cavalera... I probably forgot somebody there. [QUOTE u='Echoplex' d='2009-08-10 09:20:11']

Grunge tried to kill the metal... But they failed as they were smite to the ground.[/QUOTE] Though I respect the quoted song and Tenacious D, Grunge is a kind of Metal! Grunge is Metal as much as Thrash Metal due to both being a mixture of Metal and Punk. Listen to Alice In Chains or Soundgarden and you'll realize it yourself! (BTW Sean Kinney and Matt Cameron are f**king awesome drummers) [QUOTE u='CrimsonBizzare' d='2009-08-06 08:34:09']

And LoG are real metal?[/QUOTE] XD, totally agree...
Posted: Dec 6, 2011 5:19 PM - Quote - Report!

Josh62808

Mike Portnoy Mike Portnoy
Posted: Dec 6, 2011 10:13 PM - Quote - Report!

maddnotez

Tim Young, Adam Jarvis, Flo Monier, Derrek Roddy Tim Young, Adam Jarvis, Flo Monier, Derrek Roddy
Posted: Dec 16, 2011 7:32 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand