Original Songwriters and Appreciation Guild

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Experimenting with Genres

ZigZag667

For every song that we write it seems to fit into a specific genre because of the feel and context for the music and when we write them, quite frequently the all fit into roughly the same area with genre. So what I want to know is how easy/hard is it to write a different style of music and is it rewarding when you can do it?

I have found that going from heavy metal to progressive rock and acoustic songs has been very entertaining and a great learning tool for me as it broadens my musical pallet and makes me appreciate the music so much more.
For every song that we write it seems to fit into a specific genre because of the feel and context for the music and when we write them, quite frequently the all fit into roughly the same area with genre. So what I want to know is how easy/hard is it to write a different style of music and is it rewarding when you can do it?

I have found that going from heavy metal to progressive rock and acoustic songs has been very entertaining and a great learning tool for me as it broadens my musical pallet and makes me appreciate the music so much more.
Posted: Jul 12, 2009 12:35 AM - Quote - Report!

Andragon

Hmmm not sure what you're getting at, but here are my thoughts:

Recently, I've been getting into Post-Metal music. The use of dynamics really impressed me. I've always been drawn to off-time abstract-ish stuff, even more than straight-forward [rock'n'rollin] song structures.

Soooo, yes, it IS fun to explore beyond your knowledge :)
Hmmm not sure what you're getting at, but here are my thoughts:

Recently, I've been getting into Post-Metal music. The use of dynamics really impressed me. I've always been drawn to off-time abstract-ish stuff, even more than straight-forward [rock'n'rollin] song structures.

Soooo, yes, it IS fun to explore beyond your knowledge :)
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 5:49 AM - Quote - Report!

Sickhick

I usually keep a metal base, just because it's what I like to listen to. But then I add and alter things to give it a creepy feel, like use some acoustics or instruments associated with classical. I usually keep a metal base, just because it's what I like to listen to. But then I add and alter things to give it a creepy feel, like use some acoustics or instruments associated with classical.
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 7:57 AM - Quote - Report!

neo14085

First i was into metal, slipknot, korn, metallica, etc then i picked up the guitar. I began learning more about blues and pop. After exploring some of those stuff, i moved back to metal like metallica, gave me some ideas like pinch harmonics and palm mutes (picking up techniques along the way). After that i moved more to a grunge side, or punk if you'd call it that. Stuff like Nirvana, The Jam, The clash which to a rythmical side, improved me. Then moved to stuff like jazz, funk, still blues, rock, mainly classic stuff which has helped me alot. By learning alot of genres you can mix them or keep some stuff to your advantage.

Me myself, i still personally prefair Jazz, classic rock, Blues as my main genres.
First i was into metal, slipknot, korn, metallica, etc then i picked up the guitar. I began learning more about blues and pop. After exploring some of those stuff, i moved back to metal like metallica, gave me some ideas like pinch harmonics and palm mutes (picking up techniques along the way). After that i moved more to a grunge side, or punk if you'd call it that. Stuff like Nirvana, The Jam, The clash which to a rythmical side, improved me. Then moved to stuff like jazz, funk, still blues, rock, mainly classic stuff which has helped me alot. By learning alot of genres you can mix them or keep some stuff to your advantage. Me myself, i still personally prefair Jazz, classic rock, Blues as my main genres.
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 2:50 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand