Original Songwriters and Appreciation Guild

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

odd time signatures

Falcoe

Hi. In my band we have a drummer that wants me to change my riffs and arrangements into 4/4 when I originally wrote them in 3/4 + 4/4 or 5/4. Sometimes when I write or imporvise my songs it just comes out that way. Sometimes id like to play 4/4 in the whole song exept for the bridge. What are your thoughts about odd time signatures and time signature changes in a song?
Hi. In my band we have a drummer that wants me to change my riffs and arrangements into 4/4 when I originally wrote them in 3/4 + 4/4 or 5/4. Sometimes when I write or imporvise my songs it just comes out that way. Sometimes id like to play 4/4 in the whole song exept for the bridge. What are your thoughts about odd time signatures and time signature changes in a song?
Posted: Oct 4, 2009 3:43 PM - Quote - Report!

ZigZag667

I generally write in 4/4 timing but I do occaisionally stray into parts which use 3/4 and 6/4. They are both fun to mess around with and to write serious stuff in. A lot more of my heavier songs seem to want to stay in 6/4 timing which can be fun for solos :) I generally write in 4/4 timing but I do occaisionally stray into parts which use 3/4 and 6/4. They are both fun to mess around with and to write serious stuff in. A lot more of my heavier songs seem to want to stay in 6/4 timing which can be fun for solos :)
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 3:30 AM - Quote - Report!

Falcoe

Exactly! I have to talk to my drummer and explain how and why I want these odd time parts. Thanks for your reply. Exactly! I have to talk to my drummer and explain how and why I want these odd time parts. Thanks for your reply.
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 9:43 AM - Quote - Report!

neo14085

My drummer is like that, if i play a 5/4 riff, he gets confused and tries to play it with 4/4. Tbh, if your drummer is still like that (looking at the date, oct lol) I'd advise mabye looking for a new drummer or just changing your riffs which will slightly limit you.

Mabye in the same boat as me but my drummer is a bit annoying because when he plays 4/4 perfectly, he also changes the timing when a solo comes, probably because he's confused about a more "sloppy" solo timing, so he has the need to slow down or speed up.
My drummer is like that, if i play a 5/4 riff, he gets confused and tries to play it with 4/4. Tbh, if your drummer is still like that (looking at the date, oct lol) I'd advise mabye looking for a new drummer or just changing your riffs which will slightly limit you. Mabye in the same boat as me but my drummer is a bit annoying because when he plays 4/4 perfectly, he also changes the timing when a solo comes, probably because he's confused about a more "sloppy" solo timing, so he has the need to slow down or speed up.
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 2:55 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand