UG Rock Opera Story Panel

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Character Development

FrustratedRocka

This is the thread to toss around ideas about the personality of the main character of the rock opera. Use it well and work with the people on the plot thread.
This is the thread to toss around ideas about the personality of the main character of the rock opera.  Use it well and work with the people on the plot thread.
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 6:05 PM - Quote - Report!

AngusPetrucci

IMO, the best part of a main character is a deep past, so i guess ill pitch a few ideas

The character, tentatively titled john, would be a father of two and married to his wife for several years. As of late, the economic troubles have caused john to lose his job, and in the search for a new job, he becomes stressed and turns to drinking to help him forget about it. As he gets worse, he begins abusing his wife and kids, causing him to become increasingly distant and out of touch with the real world. He soon finds an ad about a deckhand position on a fishing boat. He takes the job and........

This look good to yall?
IMO, the best part of a main character is a deep past, so i guess ill pitch a few ideas The character, tentatively titled john, would be a father of two and married to his wife for several years. As of late, the economic troubles have caused john to lose his job, and in the search for a new job, he becomes stressed and turns to drinking to help him forget about it. As he gets worse, he begins abusing his wife and kids, causing him to become increasingly distant and out of touch with the real world. He soon finds an ad about a deckhand position on a fishing boat. He takes the job and........ This look good to yall?
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 7:51 PM - Quote - Report!

speedy1330

there shouldnt really be that huge of a background story to him, the focus should lie on how his personality made him end up being in this dream world, how he acts and the dream world, how he changes as it becomes a nightmare, and then maybe a little on how he is if he escapes there shouldnt really be that huge of a background story to him, the focus should lie on how his personality made him end up being in this dream world, how he acts and the dream world, how he changes as it becomes a nightmare, and then maybe a little on how he is if he escapes
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 10:50 PM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

speedy1330 wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 at 5:50pm :
there shouldnt really be that huge of a background story to him, the focus should lie on how his personality made him end up being in this dream world, how he acts and the dream world, how he changes as it becomes a nightmare, and then maybe a little on how he is if he escapes
Agreed. Think about it, based on The Wall, it doesn't go much into detail about his past. There were a few things such as Pink's father going to war, and the abuse he got in school, but the main focus was him losing touch with reality and building his "wall" away from society. He's trying to break free and must confront all his troubles and fears until he finally does so. Pardon any errors, this is just my interpretation of the album, I haven't seen the movie yet.
[QUOTE u='speedy1330' d='2010-02-21 17:50:35']there shouldnt really be that huge of a background story to him, the focus should lie on how his personality made him end up being in this dream world, how he acts and the dream world, how he changes as it becomes a nightmare, and then maybe a little on how he is if he escapes[/QUOTE]Agreed. Think about it, based on The Wall, it doesn't go much into detail about his past. There were a few things such as Pink's father going to war, and the abuse he got in school, but the main focus was him losing touch with reality and building his "wall" away from society. He's trying to break free and must confront all his troubles and fears until he finally does so. Pardon any errors, this is just my interpretation of the album, I haven't seen the movie yet.
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 11:09 PM - Quote - Report!

AngusPetrucci

If he didnt have the backtory, it would render the flashbacks useless, as well as taking away from the stories depth If he didnt have the backtory, it would render the flashbacks useless, as well as taking away from the stories depth
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 11:39 PM - Quote - Report!

soulflyV

AngusPetrucci wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 at 6:39pm :
If he didnt have the backtory, it would render the flashbacks useless, as well as taking away from the stories depth

Yeah, he's gonna need the flashbacks. I think it would be a great way to reveal the events that led up to him being on the boat.

If we use the idea of him running from the authorities for shooting someone, then he can remember the shooting and piece together why it happened through the flashbacks.

It could keep him guessing whether he did it out of

- Self-defence (he escapes out of the dream into a white light, sort of alluding that he has gone to heaven, or left the earth as a 'good' person)

or

- If he did it for personal gain, whatever that may be (he cannot deal with the fact he has killed someone for his own means and sacrifices himself inside the dream).

I don't think he should have a family history of deep sea fishing, though. Think about it, he killed a guy, panics, finds the quickest way to get out of the country without attracting the authorities, finds an Arctic fishing crew and joins them without full knowledge of the kind of duty it entails. Sounds like something someone who desperately did not want to be caught would do.

Anyway, do we want our character to be good (and kill in self-defence) or evil (and kill for personal gain, e.g. money, possessions)?

I'm thinking that the device that brings about his whole situation is drugs.

He could be secretly hiding an addiction to cocaine (or whichever drug you please) from his family, and is out around town with his kids when one of the guys he owes money to confronts him in an alley.

This could be the point where either, the dealer becomes violent and tries to harm him and his kids, resulting in the dealer being shot in self-defence OR a heated passing of words occur and our character (John?) becomes enraged, due to withdrawal symptoms and kills the guy for his money to get more cocaine.

Anyway, what do you guys think of that?
[QUOTE u='AngusPetrucci' d='2010-02-21 18:39:34']If he didnt have the backtory, it would render the flashbacks useless, as well as taking away from the stories depth[/QUOTE] Yeah, he's gonna need the flashbacks. I think it would be a great way to reveal the events that led up to him being on the boat. If we use the idea of him running from the authorities for shooting someone, then he can remember the shooting and piece together why it happened through the flashbacks. It could keep him guessing whether he did it out of - Self-defence (he escapes out of the dream into a white light, sort of alluding that he has gone to heaven, or left the earth as a 'good' person) or - If he did it for personal gain, whatever that may be (he cannot deal with the fact he has killed someone for his own means and sacrifices himself inside the dream). I don't think he should have a family history of deep sea fishing, though. Think about it, he killed a guy, panics, finds the quickest way to get out of the country without attracting the authorities, finds an Arctic fishing crew and joins them without full knowledge of the kind of duty it entails. Sounds like something someone who desperately did not want to be caught would do. Anyway, do we want our character to be good (and kill in self-defence) or evil (and kill for personal gain, e.g. money, possessions)? I'm thinking that the device that brings about his whole situation is drugs. He could be secretly hiding an addiction to cocaine (or whichever drug you please) from his family, and is out around town with his kids when one of the guys he owes money to confronts him in an alley. This could be the point where either, the dealer becomes violent and tries to harm him and his kids, resulting in the dealer being shot in self-defence OR a heated passing of words occur and our character (John?) becomes enraged, due to withdrawal symptoms and kills the guy for his money to get more cocaine. Anyway, what do you guys think of that?
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 1:44 AM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

Me like. Me like.
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 2:24 AM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

I don't think it should be self-defence. Because if it was, then why would he need to run from the authorities? Killing in self-defence is the only time killing is not as wrong as it usually would (I mean it's still wrong, but if there was really no other way to defend himself without killing, then...yeah...)

But yeah, what I was saying is that he needs the backstory, but it doesn't need to be an incredibly long one (like if he's running from the authorities for killing someone, then background about his childhood would be kind of redundant).

But yes, the whole "under the influence of drugs" story would make a good backstory. Personally I like the second option where he kills to get more money, because it would make more sense. Unless the drug dealer had a bunch of big ass henchmen (???) to come after him and kill him for killing the drug dealer, but (excuse me if I'm wrong, I don't do drugs, so I don't know much about dealing) what I think is the drug dealer gets his "inventory" from some other source who just supplies it and could probably give a shit less if the dealer got killed.

I'd say go with killing for money and more drugs, but that's just my opinion.
I don't think it should be self-defence. Because if it was, then why would he need to run from the authorities? Killing in self-defence is the only time killing is not as wrong as it usually would (I mean it's still wrong, but if there was really no other way to defend himself without killing, then...yeah...) But yeah, what I was saying is that he needs the backstory, but it doesn't need to be an incredibly long one (like if he's running from the authorities for killing someone, then background about his childhood would be kind of redundant). But yes, the whole "under the influence of drugs" story would make a good backstory. Personally I like the second option where he kills to get more money, because it would make more sense. Unless the drug dealer had a bunch of big ass henchmen (???) to come after him and kill him for killing the drug dealer, but (excuse me if I'm wrong, I don't do drugs, so I don't know much about dealing) what I think is the drug dealer gets his "inventory" from some other source who just supplies it and could probably give a shit less if the dealer got killed. I'd say go with killing for money and more drugs, but that's just my opinion.
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 3:00 AM - Quote - Report!

AngusPetrucci

I still feel that the family-making ends meat thing could lend weight and ultimately be a better choice, but the other ideas are great too I still feel that the family-making ends meat thing could lend weight and ultimately be a better choice, but the other ideas are great too
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 11:12 AM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

Not dealing with what you guys are discussing about at the moment, but (in my opinion at least) a detailed and well-written past for the main character is VERY important, even though we might not even say that much about his past.

Everything in a story can work so much better if you have an established character with his own personality, this can give a story based around that character much more depth and reality. If you start writing something about someone you barely know, it will be difficult to predict what that character would do (since a lot of the story is going to be based around what the character does and decides.

Anyways, back on topic here, I think him killing should be in self-defence. I'm sketching up some stuff about circumstances and his life and such at the moment, I'll post it a little later.
Not dealing with what you guys are discussing about at the moment, but (in my opinion at least) a detailed and well-written past for the main character is VERY important, even though we might not even say that much about his past. Everything in a story can work so much better if you have an established character with his own personality, this can give a story based around that character much more depth and reality. If you start writing something about someone you barely know, it will be difficult to predict what that character would do (since a lot of the story is going to be based around what the character does and decides. Anyways, back on topic here, I think him killing should be in self-defence. I'm sketching up some stuff about circumstances and his life and such at the moment, I'll post it a little later.
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 3:32 PM - Quote - Report!

brndnstffrd

I think that the making ends meet for his family is a better idea because i liked the idea about him being chased by a mob to be punished and the mob turns into all of the people that he abused and hurt in his real life I think that the making ends meet for his family is a better idea because i liked the idea about him being chased by a mob to be punished and the mob turns into all of the people that he abused and hurt in his real life
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 10:10 PM - Quote - Report!

speedy1330

brndnstffrd wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 5:10pm :
I think that the making ends meet for his family is a better idea because i liked the idea about him being chased by a mob to be punished and the mob turns into all of the people that he abused and hurt in his real life

wait what? clarification: he gets chased by a mob and ends up in a dream world and then the mob is also in the dream worl but there different people?
[QUOTE u='brndnstffrd' d='2010-02-22 17:10:01']I think that the making ends meet for his family is a better idea because i liked the idea about him being chased by a mob to be punished and the mob turns into all of the people that he abused and hurt in his real life[/QUOTE] wait what? clarification: he gets chased by a mob and ends up in a dream world and then the mob is also in the dream worl but there different people?
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 12:07 AM - Quote - Report!

SlayingDragons

SlayingEdit2:

AngusPetrucci wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 at 2:51pm :
IMO, the best part of a main character is a deep past, so i guess ill pitch a few ideas

The character, tentatively titled john, would be a father of two and married to his wife for several years. As of late, the economic troubles have caused john to lose his job, and in the search for a new job, he becomes stressed and turns to drinking to help him forget about it. As he gets worse, he begins abusing his wife and kids, causing him to become increasingly distant and out of touch with the real world. He soon finds an ad about a deckhand position on a fishing boat. He takes the job and........

This look good to yall?

This basically summed up the entire top of my post, but better. This is pretty much what I was thinking, and am leaning toward.

SlayingEdit:

soulflyV wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 at 8:44pm :
AngusPetrucci wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 at 6:39pm :
If he didnt have the backtory, it would render the flashbacks useless, as well as taking away from the stories depth

Yeah, he's gonna need the flashbacks. I think it would be a great way to reveal the events that led up to him being on the boat.

If we use the idea of him running from the authorities for shooting someone, then he can remember the shooting and piece together why it happened through the flashbacks.

- Self-defence (he escapes out of the dream into a white light, sort of alluding that he has gone to heaven, or left the earth as a 'good' person)

or

- If he did it for personal gain, whatever that may be (he cannot deal with the fact he has killed someone for his own means and sacrifices himself inside the dream).

I don't think he should have a family history of deep sea fishing, though. Think about it, he killed a guy, panics, finds the quickest way to get out of the country without attracting the authorities, finds an Arctic fishing crew and joins them without full knowledge of the kind of duty it entails. Sounds like something someone who desperately did not want to be caught would do.

Anyway, do we want our character to be good (and kill in self-defence) or evil (and kill for personal gain, e.g. money, possessions)?

He could be secretly hiding an addiction to cocaine (or whichever drug you please) from his family, and is out around town with his kids when one of the guys he owes money to confronts him in an alley.

This could be the point where either, the dealer becomes violent and tries to harm him and his kids, resulting in the dealer being shot in self-defence OR a heated passing of words occur and our character (John?) becomes enraged, due to withdrawal symptoms and kills the guy for his money to get more cocaine.

Anyway, what do you guys think of that?

Soulfly, you're a freaking genuis. I think I'm gonna have to step back on the story writing part, you guys seems to have it figured out, lol.

And you're right, it might be better if he doesn't have a history of deep sea fishing, just because of what you mentioned.

I also kinda get the idea of the drug-situation thing, it would make it a bit more realistic, but it just seems like a kinda cliche situation, and doesn't really make the death of him seem as tragic as it should be... I don't prefer this option, I like the idea of him needing more money to support his family a good bit more, but if this is what everyone decides on, then that's beyond me.

I was thinking that maybe he hits his wife in a drunken rage one day, and she gets tired of it, and calls the cops. He decides to get away from his life, and just join a fishing crew and leave, to recollect and get his mind together.

Then flashbacks start happening in his dream world, as he repeats previous actions of what happened in the real world.

Still may be rather cliche, but I prefer this one. >.>

Just my opinions, figured I might as well insert my $.02.
SlayingEdit2:

[QUOTE u='AngusPetrucci' d='2010-02-21 14:51:57']IMO, the best part of a main character is a deep past, so i guess ill pitch a few ideas

This look good to yall?[/QUOTE]

This basically summed up the entire top of my post, but better. This is pretty much what I was thinking, and am leaning toward.

SlayingEdit:

[QUOTE u='soulflyV' d='2010-02-21 20:44:45'][QUOTE u='AngusPetrucci' d='2010-02-21 18:39:34']If he didnt have the backtory, it would render the flashbacks useless, as well as taking away from the stories depth[/QUOTE]

or

Anyway, what do you guys think of that?[/QUOTE]

Soulfly, you're a freaking genuis. I think I'm gonna have to step back on the story writing part, you guys seems to have it figured out, lol.

And you're right, it might be better if he doesn't have a history of deep sea fishing, just because of what you mentioned.

I also kinda get the idea of the drug-situation thing, it would make it a bit more realistic, but it just seems like a kinda cliche situation, and doesn't really make the death of him seem as tragic as it should be... I don't prefer this option, I like the idea of him needing more money to support his family a good bit more, but if this is what everyone decides on, then that's beyond me.

I was thinking that maybe he hits his wife in a drunken rage one day, and she gets tired of it, and calls the cops. He decides to get away from his life, and just join a fishing crew and leave, to recollect and get his mind together.

Then flashbacks start happening in his dream world, as he repeats previous actions of what happened in the real world.

Still may be rather cliche, but I prefer this one. >.>

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 12:16 AM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

speedy1330 wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 7:07pm :
brndnstffrd wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 5:10pm :
I think that the making ends meet for his family is a better idea because i liked the idea about him being chased by a mob to be punished and the mob turns into all of the people that he abused and hurt in his real life
wait what? clarification: he gets chased by a mob and ends up in a dream world and then the mob is also in the dream worl but there different people?
If I understand it, he is somewhat abusive towards people IRL. At the end of the story, he is chased by a mob of people while in the dream world, and this dream-world-mob turns into the people that he hurt in real life who continue to hunt him down.

EDIT: Wait... of course I understand it. That was my idea.
[QUOTE u='speedy1330' d='2010-02-22 19:07:51'][QUOTE u='brndnstffrd' d='2010-02-22 17:10:01']I think that the making ends meet for his family is a better idea because i liked the idea about him being chased by a mob to be punished and the mob turns into all of the people that he abused and hurt in his real life[/QUOTE] wait what? clarification: he gets chased by a mob and ends up in a dream world and then the mob is also in the dream worl but there different people?[/QUOTE] If I understand it, he is somewhat abusive towards people IRL. At the end of the story, he is chased by a mob of people while in the dream world, and this dream-world-mob turns into the people that he hurt in real life who continue to hunt him down.

EDIT:  Wait... of course I understand it.  That was my idea.
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 1:00 AM - Quote - Report!

brndnstffrd

yea frustratedrocka, it was your idea that i was talking about. I was saying that i liked it. yea frustratedrocka, it was your idea that i was talking about. I was saying that i liked it.
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 1:25 AM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

Thank you. I was actually trying to clarify for Speedy1330 though. Thank you. I was actually trying to clarify for Speedy1330 though.
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 3:21 AM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

EDIT:

This is a little story I came up with for the characters background. I don't want everyone to stick to this story, I just made this up, because it always helps me write stuff if I have a main-character that truly is more or less alive.

Anyway, tell me what you think...

STORY:

Letís name the main-character John for simplicityís sake.

John was the younger of two sons. His brother was seven years older than him. He was always a popular guy, good at sports, worked hard at school and got good grades. John however was always caught up in his own imagination, and didnít care so much for school or friends, but kept himself busy playing on his own with imaginary friends.

They had a happy and peaceful childhood until his brother reached the age of eighteen (he was almost eleven then) and joined the military to fight in Vietnam (The main-character was born around 1954, and his brother went to fight in 1965). His brother got killed and his parents fell into a series of depressions, especially his father, who gained an addiction to alcohol, and became a drunk who was abusive to his wife, blaming her for letting their son go fight in the war. His mother couldnít take this behaviour and ran off with another man about two years later (John was now thirteen). Johnís father shifted his anger from Johnís mom to John, and started accusing John of being a failure, wondering why he could not have been as great as his brother.

John at that time started writing fictional stories about different worlds to forget all his problems, and his imagination often took him into these worlds he came up with.

When John reached the age of fifteen, his father remarried, but his new wife didnít care at all for John, nor did she bother to ever give him some attention. Johnís father however seemed to be happier than John had ever seen him, since his brother died.

One day, Johnís father got fired from his job at a local factory, and Johnís ďfamilyĒ got into some serious financial problems. Johnís father Ė being uneducated Ė couldnít find a job anywhere, so things werenít looking bright.

A few months later however John father picked something up at a local bar about working on a crab-fishing boat, and how they were always looking for new people to join, whether they had an education or experience or not.

Johnís father left the family to go fishing on the arctic seas, and was away for three months every time he left to go fishing. Johnís stepmother still didnít care much for John and neglected him and treated him like a stray dog constantly wandering about what she by now called her own house.

EDIT:

This is a little story I came up with for the characters background. I don't want everyone to stick to this story, I just made this up, because it always helps me write stuff if I have a main-character that truly is more or less alive.

Anyway, tell me what you think...

STORY:

Letís name the main-character John for simplicityís sake.

John was the younger of two sons. His brother was seven years older than him. He was always a popular guy, good at sports, worked hard at school and got good grades. John however was always caught up in his own imagination, and didnít care so much for school or friends, but kept himself busy playing on his own with imaginary friends.

They had a happy and peaceful childhood until his brother reached the age of eighteen (he was almost eleven then) and joined the military to fight in Vietnam (The main-character was born around 1954, and his brother went to fight in 1965). His brother got killed and his parents fell into a series of depressions, especially his father, who gained an addiction to alcohol, and became a drunk who was abusive to his wife, blaming her for letting their son go fight in the war. His mother couldnít take this behaviour and ran off with another man about two years later (John was now thirteen). Johnís father shifted his anger from Johnís mom to John, and started accusing John of being a failure, wondering why he could not have been as great as his brother.

John at that time started writing fictional stories about different worlds to forget all his problems, and his imagination often took him into these worlds he came up with.

When John reached the age of fifteen, his father remarried, but his new wife didnít care at all for John, nor did she bother to ever give him some attention. Johnís father however seemed to be happier than John had ever seen him, since his brother died.

One day, Johnís father got fired from his job at a local factory, and Johnís ďfamilyĒ got into some serious financial problems. Johnís father Ė being uneducated Ė couldnít find a job anywhere, so things werenít looking bright.

A few months later however John father picked something up at a local bar about working on a crab-fishing boat, and how they were always looking for new people to join, whether they had an education or experience or not.

Johnís father left the family to go fishing on the arctic seas, and was away for three months every time he left to go fishing. Johnís stepmother still didnít care much for John and neglected him and treated him like a stray dog constantly wandering about what she by now called her own house.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 11:32 AM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

A couple of weeks before Johns eighteenth birthday, he and his stepmother received news about his fathers fishing boat. It got caught in a storm, and all men aboard died a tragic death on the middle of the arctic sea.
Johnís stepmother claimed all of the possessions that were from John and his father as her own, and John was neglected even more. He decided to move away from home to the big city where he got all sorts of small jobs, trying to make a living and being able to afford a really tiny apartment. On his way to deliver some packages to a publishing company (he was at that time a delivery boy) he saw an ad in the window of the company, saying that they needed more people to work at the company, no high education or experience required.
John couldnít refuse and after working several years at the company, he managed to get one of the publishers to read one of his stories, and the publisher admitted that John had a great talent for writing. From there on, John started writing occasional short stories for a local magazine about story-writing. He eventually became recognised as a talented young writer, and he was offered to publish a book.

His life was great from there on, he eventually met a nice woman to whom he married after a while, and they lived in a nice home, and had two kids. John is happier than he has ever been in his life, but unfortunately this takes away some of his ability to write great stories, since the way his life was going always inspired him to create fictional worlds in which everything would be better than his real life. Because of this lack of inspiration he loses his contract at a big publishing company, and gets stuck with writing columns for some magazines.

When John is accustomed to his new life, writing columns, but being happy with his family, he gets an unexpected visit from his mom, seeking to be forgiven by John for leaving him at such a young age. John, unsure of what to do and reminded of his awful childhood, falls into a depression. He refuses to talk to his mother and starts writing again, stories far greater than anything he has written so far. Everything about his stories reeks of anger, towards his father, for first abusing him, and then leaving him, towards his mother for leaving him at age thirteen, at his brother for being so damn perfect and mostly at god (since he was raised as a Christian child).
A couple of weeks before Johns eighteenth birthday, he and his stepmother received news about his fathers fishing boat. It got caught in a storm, and all men aboard died a tragic death on the middle of the arctic sea. Johnís stepmother claimed all of the possessions that were from John and his father as her own, and John was neglected even more. He decided to move away from home to the big city where he got all sorts of small jobs, trying to make a living and being able to afford a really tiny apartment. On his way to deliver some packages to a publishing company (he was at that time a delivery boy) he saw an ad in the window of the company, saying that they needed more people to work at the company, no high education or experience required. John couldnít refuse and after working several years at the company, he managed to get one of the publishers to read one of his stories, and the publisher admitted that John had a great talent for writing. From there on, John started writing occasional short stories for a local magazine about story-writing. He eventually became recognised as a talented young writer, and he was offered to publish a book. His life was great from there on, he eventually met a nice woman to whom he married after a while, and they lived in a nice home, and had two kids. John is happier than he has ever been in his life, but unfortunately this takes away some of his ability to write great stories, since the way his life was going always inspired him to create fictional worlds in which everything would be better than his real life. Because of this lack of inspiration he loses his contract at a big publishing company, and gets stuck with writing columns for some magazines. When John is accustomed to his new life, writing columns, but being happy with his family, he gets an unexpected visit from his mom, seeking to be forgiven by John for leaving him at such a young age. John, unsure of what to do and reminded of his awful childhood, falls into a depression. He refuses to talk to his mother and starts writing again, stories far greater than anything he has written so far. Everything about his stories reeks of anger, towards his father, for first abusing him, and then leaving him, towards his mother for leaving him at age thirteen, at his brother for being so damn perfect and mostly at god (since he was raised as a Christian child).
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 12:19 PM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

He gets sucked into his stories revolving around anger and pity for himself and starts drinking to forget his problems from the past, just like his father did before him. He neglects his deadlines for his work and in the end gets fired from his job as a columnist and in the meantime doesnít get any decent stories on paper, so no publisher wants to publish his stories anymore. Basically his life is going down the drain again.
After some time, while neglecting his wife and children to go drinking pretty much every day, his wife starts cheating on him with another guy (letís call him Bob for simplicities sake). One night after a night of heavy drinking, John comes home to find his wife and this guy sharing the bed together. John, angry and drunk as he is at that moment, starts yelling at Bob, and throwing random objects at him. Bob, startled by all of Johnís rage, tries to run out of the door, but canít get past John, since he is standing in the doorway. He decides to try and hit John unconscious, since he himself is starting to get angry too. He grabs a bottle of wine which was standing on the nightstand next to the bed, and tries to hit John on the head with it. John Ė despite being drunk Ė manages to avoid getting hit and as a counter act, hits Bob in the face with his fist. Bob is surprised by this attack and stumbles over his own feet, falling down backwards, and lands with his head on a radiator. Unfortunately, this cracks Bobís skull, and causes him to die.

Both John and his wife are panicking, since this was in no way Johnís intention. Unable to think rationally because he is drunk, John starts packing his stuff and tells his wife to call the police and tell exactly what happened. He decides to run away, thinking that the cops will arrest him and charge him with manslaughter. He thinks that if his wife tells the cops what happens, and he runs away, the cops wonít be able to put any blame on his wife, and they will only focus on catching him.

John ran away from home before his wife contacted the police, and ended up in a remote village by the coast. In a local bar there he heard (just like his father heard many years ago) that there were still crab-fishing boats looking for more crew. He remembered the time when his father went off to join such a crew, and also all the times his father called him a failure who didnít accomplish anything. John was determined to prove his father wrong, and decided to join the crew of a fishing boat, to show his father that he could do better in life than him.

From here on comes the actual story for the album then.

Long story short:

- Brother died in war
- Abusive father
- Mother ran off
- Enjoyed writing, became a writer later on.
- Father joined the crew off a fishing boat and died.
- He ran off to the city.
- Became a writer
- Mother came back
- He became the same person his father was
- Killed his wifeís lover by accident
-Ran off and joined the crew off a fishing boat
He gets sucked into his stories revolving around anger and pity for himself and starts drinking to forget his problems from the past, just like his father did before him. He neglects his deadlines for his work and in the end gets fired from his job as a columnist and in the meantime doesnít get any decent stories on paper, so no publisher wants to publish his stories anymore. Basically his life is going down the drain again. After some time, while neglecting his wife and children to go drinking pretty much every day, his wife starts cheating on him with another guy (letís call him Bob for simplicities sake). One night after a night of heavy drinking, John comes home to find his wife and this guy sharing the bed together. John, angry and drunk as he is at that moment, starts yelling at Bob, and throwing random objects at him. Bob, startled by all of Johnís rage, tries to run out of the door, but canít get past John, since he is standing in the doorway. He decides to try and hit John unconscious, since he himself is starting to get angry too. He grabs a bottle of wine which was standing on the nightstand next to the bed, and tries to hit John on the head with it. John Ė despite being drunk Ė manages to avoid getting hit and as a counter act, hits Bob in the face with his fist. Bob is surprised by this attack and stumbles over his own feet, falling down backwards, and lands with his head on a radiator. Unfortunately, this cracks Bobís skull, and causes him to die. Both John and his wife are panicking, since this was in no way Johnís intention. Unable to think rationally because he is drunk, John starts packing his stuff and tells his wife to call the police and tell exactly what happened. He decides to run away, thinking that the cops will arrest him and charge him with manslaughter. He thinks that if his wife tells the cops what happens, and he runs away, the cops wonít be able to put any blame on his wife, and they will only focus on catching him. John ran away from home before his wife contacted the police, and ended up in a remote village by the coast. In a local bar there he heard (just like his father heard many years ago) that there were still crab-fishing boats looking for more crew. He remembered the time when his father went off to join such a crew, and also all the times his father called him a failure who didnít accomplish anything. John was determined to prove his father wrong, and decided to join the crew of a fishing boat, to show his father that he could do better in life than him. From here on comes the actual story for the album then. Long story short: - Brother died in war - Abusive father - Mother ran off - Enjoyed writing, became a writer later on. - Father joined the crew off a fishing boat and died. - He ran off to the city. - Became a writer - Mother came back - He became the same person his father was - Killed his wifeís lover by accident -Ran off and joined the crew off a fishing boat
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 12:19 PM - Quote - Report!

soulflyV

@ultimate-slash: I very much like that backstory, minus the part where his father was a fisherman. The drugs and alcohol I believe are interchangeable.

SlayingDragons wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 7:16pm :

Still may be rather cliche, but I prefer this one. >_>

Aha, I keep leaving things I want to say out every time I think of something. :haha:

My main reason for having the drugs was so that they could be used as the reason his dream-world looks, for want of a better word, psychedelic. I'm not sure what image you get when you think dream/utopia but I get this image of golden grass and purple skies, spiralled staircase pieces of architecture in areas that defy logic and all that jazz.

A 'normal' world existing in a dream just doesn't seem appealing to me. :haha:
@ultimate-slash: I very much like that backstory, minus the part where his father was a fisherman. The drugs and alcohol I believe are interchangeable. [QUOTE u='SlayingDragons' d='2010-02-22 19:16:24'] I also kinda get the idea of the drug-situation thing, it would make it a bit more realistic, but it just seems like a kinda cliche situation, and doesn't really make the death of him seem as tragic as it should be... I don't prefer this option, I like the idea of him needing more money to support his family a good bit more, but if this is what everyone decides on, then that's beyond me. I was thinking that maybe he hits his wife in a drunken rage one day, and she gets tired of it, and calls the cops. He decides to get away from his life, and just join a fishing crew and leave, to recollect and get his mind together. Then flashbacks start happening in his dream world, as he repeats previous actions of what happened in the real world. Still may be rather cliche, but I prefer this one. >_> Just my opinions, figured I might as well insert my $.02.[/QUOTE] Aha, I keep leaving things I want to say out every time I think of something. :haha: My main reason for having the drugs was so that they could be used as the reason his dream-world looks, for want of a better word, psychedelic. I'm not sure what image you get when you think dream/utopia but I get this image of golden grass and purple skies, spiralled staircase pieces of architecture in areas that defy logic and all that jazz. A 'normal' world existing in a dream just doesn't seem appealing to me. :haha:
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 2:19 PM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

I was doubting about the part of his father being a fisherman from the start, so I really wouldn't mind changing that. I don't even know why I put it in there to be honest :haha: And the alcohol can easily be changed by drugs, might fit the story better also, like you mentioned. But still glad that you like it, overal I spent like 2 hours writing it.

Mostly during class, but still...
I was doubting about the part of his father being a fisherman from the start, so I really wouldn't mind changing that. I don't even know why I put it in there to be honest :haha: And the alcohol can easily be changed by drugs, might fit the story better also, like you mentioned. But still glad that you like it, overal I spent like 2 hours writing it.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 2:39 PM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

ultimate-slash wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:39am :

Nice. I also like the story minus the fisherman-father thing. Now we may need to figure out how to implement it...
[QUOTE u='ultimate-slash' d='2010-02-23 09:39:50']I was doubting about the part of his father being a fisherman from the start, so I really wouldn't mind changing that. I don't even know why I put it in there to be honest :haha: And the alcohol can easily be changed by drugs, might fit the story better also, like you mentioned. But still glad that you like it, overal I spent like 2 hours writing it.

[/QUOTE] Nice. I also like the story minus the fisherman-father thing. Now we may need to figure out how to implement it...
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 3:42 PM - Quote - Report!

soulflyV

FrustratedRocka wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 10:42am :

Nice. I also like the story minus the fisherman-father thing. Now we may need to figure out how to implement it...

Implement what exactly?
[QUOTE u='FrustratedRocka' d='2010-02-23 10:42:26'] Nice. I also like the story minus the fisherman-father thing. Now we may need to figure out how to implement it...[/QUOTE] Implement what exactly?
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 3:57 PM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

I meant work the backstory into the larger framework of the plot - how to reveal what and when to do it. I meant work the backstory into the larger framework of the plot - how to reveal what and when to do it.
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 4:49 PM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

IDEA:
The whole "him being on a boat idea" could signify a "new beginning" after all of his troubles and woes back at home. After he gets knocked overboard, this could also be his "new beginning" in his own dream world. He feels free from all of the evils of the world and as if nothing could go wrong. We could incorporate some of his good childhood memories. (We'd have to figure something out then...) However, something would go horribly wrong (dunno what yet. Possibly the "mugger's trial/execution" idea?)

Anyway, once the "dream world" starts to turn into a nightmare, I suggest we start incorporating things like how his brother went into the war and got killed and whatnot. That would be a good transition from utopian to dystopian, then that sparks some depression in his dream world that would cause him to go kind of crazy and get drunk and abuse his girlfriend, sort of taking on his father's role from real life.

I dunno, just a thought...
IDEA:
The whole "him being on a boat idea" could signify a "new beginning" after all of his troubles and woes back at home. After he gets knocked overboard, this could also be his "new beginning" in his own dream world. He feels free from all of the evils of the world and as if nothing could go wrong. We could incorporate some of his good childhood memories. (We'd have to figure something out then...) However, something would go horribly wrong (dunno what yet. Possibly the "mugger's trial/execution" idea?)

Anyway, once the "dream world" starts to turn into a nightmare, I suggest we start incorporating things like how his brother went into the war and got killed and whatnot. That would be a good transition from utopian to dystopian, then that sparks some depression in his dream world that would cause him to go kind of crazy and get drunk and abuse his girlfriend, sort of taking on his father's role from real life.

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 1:56 AM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

I think that's a good idea. We may need to put in an actual event to show the transition, but it's a good place to build from. I think that's a good idea. We may need to put in an actual event to show the transition, but it's a good place to build from.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 8:11 PM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

FrustratedRocka wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 3:11pm :
I think that's a good idea. We may need to put in an actual event to show the transition, but it's a good place to build from.
:cheers:
[QUOTE u='FrustratedRocka' d='2010-02-24 15:11:10']I think that's a good idea. We may need to put in an actual event to show the transition, but it's a good place to build from.[/QUOTE]:cheers:
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 8:27 PM - Quote - Report!

AngusPetrucci

classicrockboy wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:56pm :
IDEA:

I like the idea of the flashbacks and all, but, how bout they also mime the ways that his freinds and family died/acted in real life

Like, instead of directly being romantically involved with the woman in the dream, it could simply be someone he befreinds, and watches as her relationship with her husband deteriorates, causesing said flashbacks, leading to him trying to stop it, which could explain how he is killed or leaves the dream world.

Although, this would break the idea of it being a utopia, but i feel that this could be fleshed out.

Classicrockboy, never again end you post with

just a thought....
[QUOTE u='classicrockboy' d='2010-02-23 20:56:38']IDEA:

[/QUOTE]I like the idea of the flashbacks and all, but, how bout they also mime the ways that his freinds and family died/acted in real life Like, instead of directly being romantically involved with the woman in the dream, it could simply be someone he befreinds, and watches as her relationship with her husband deteriorates, causesing said flashbacks, leading to him trying to stop it, which could explain how he is killed or leaves the dream world. Although, this would break the idea of it being a utopia, but i feel that this could be fleshed out. Classicrockboy, never again end you post with just a thought....
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 12:31 AM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

sorry 'bout that. guess it's kinda redundant anyway considering all these are thoughts.

How about it begins off in a utoian world, then he encounters different people whom he befriends. Later, these people begin to drift into the personalities of people he knew in real life who totally screwed him over. This is when utopia begins to turn into dystopia.
sorry 'bout that. guess it's kinda redundant anyway considering all these are thoughts. How about it begins off in a utoian world, then he encounters different people whom he befriends. Later, these people begin to drift into the personalities of people he knew in real life who totally screwed him over. This is when utopia begins to turn into dystopia.
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 2:40 AM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

I like that idea (@ classicrockboys last post). He basically falls over board in a storm etc (dramatic part) and all of a sudden everything stops, seeming like he's dead, but he actually entered the new world. There he starts fresh, without any memories, so there's no bad childhood memory whatsoever. He makes friends etc, thinks that life has been this great all along, and suddenly the people he got to know in the utopian world start reminding him of his old family. Someone he look up to dies (representing his brother's death) and then he gets flashbacks of how much fun he always had with his brother, thinking those flashbacks are some kind of dream - which seem awfully familiar - in which he is replacing his loved ones (in the utopia) with people he (as far as he remembers) has never seen before. From there on more events like these could happen, slowly turning his utopia into a dystopia. People from the utopia are becoming more panicked as things go along, things like these aren't supposed to happen in a utopian world after all. Also his flashbacks (and the events sparking them) become more frequent, causing him to freak out and making the utopia (which is still a product of his imagination) more dystopian as time goes on.

If this is approved then we need to start thinking about what kind of rolls other characters (from his real life) are going to play in his dreamworld.

So his brother for example should be a good friend of him in the dreamworld. Maybe someone who he sees when he first wakes up, and whom he asks what happened to him, since he lost his memory.

His mother and father could be maybe two girls, one who is in love with the friend (his brother in this case) and one who falls in love with the main character.
To set the record straight here for a moment:
I'm not trying to suggest some weird fucked up relations within a family btw, but it's just meant to change things around a bit, and not make every character too predictable (as in his father being his father, his mother being his mother, his brother being his brother etc...)

Anyways,
The one in love with the main character could represent his mother, who runs away after the person representing his brother dies leaving the main character vulnerable because he's missing a girl he loved. This represents him being vulnerable because in real life his mother left. This part sparks a memory about his mother

Then the lover of his (by now dead) friend, starts treating the main character badly, saying it was his fault he died (gotta make up some better circumstances here), and starts saying things about much better the guy that died was. Representing his father in real life, and in time sparking a memory about his father.

This is basically the main idea a though up about this, all the specific flashbacks and characters still need to be thought up though.

EDIT:

I hope there's gonna be some more frequent contributions to this project, since at the moment it's just a handful of people posting every now and again.
(I must admit, I'm not posting and thinking up stuff as much as I want to)

Not saying people are lacking in contributions or something though, everyone contributing so far is doing a great job. :cheers:
I like that idea (@ classicrockboys last post). He basically falls over board in a storm etc (dramatic part) and all of a sudden everything stops, seeming like he's dead, but he actually entered the new world. There he starts fresh, without any memories, so there's no bad childhood memory whatsoever. He makes friends etc, thinks that life has been this great all along, and suddenly the people he got to know in the utopian world start reminding him of his old family. Someone he look up to dies (representing his brother's death) and then he gets flashbacks of how much fun he always had with his brother, thinking those flashbacks are some kind of dream - which seem awfully familiar - in which he is replacing his loved ones (in the utopia) with people he (as far as he remembers) has never seen before. From there on more events like these could happen, slowly turning his utopia into a dystopia. People from the utopia are becoming more panicked as things go along, things like these aren't supposed to happen in a utopian world after all. Also his flashbacks (and the events sparking them) become more frequent, causing him to freak out and making the utopia (which is still a product of his imagination) more dystopian as time goes on.

If this is approved then we need to start thinking about what kind of rolls other characters (from his real life) are going to play in his dreamworld.

So his brother for example should be a good friend of him in the dreamworld. Maybe someone who he sees when he first wakes up, and whom he asks what happened to him, since he lost his memory.

His mother and father could be maybe two girls, one who is in love with the friend (his brother in this case) and one who falls in love with the main character.
To set the record straight here for a moment:
I'm not trying to suggest some weird fucked up relations within a family btw, but it's just meant to change things around a bit, and not make every character too predictable (as in his father being his father, his mother being his mother, his brother being his brother etc...)

Anyways,
The one in love with the main character could represent his mother, who runs away after the person representing his brother dies leaving the main character vulnerable because he's missing a girl he loved. This represents him being vulnerable because in real life his mother left. This part sparks a memory about his mother

Then the lover of his (by now dead) friend, starts treating the main character badly, saying it was his fault he died (gotta make up some better circumstances here), and starts saying things about much better the guy that died was. Representing his father in real life, and in time sparking a memory about his father.

This is basically the main idea a though up about this, all the specific flashbacks and characters still need to be thought up though.

EDIT:

I hope there's gonna be some more frequent contributions to this project, since at the moment it's just a handful of people posting every now and again.
(I must admit, I'm not posting and thinking up stuff as much as I want to)

Not saying people are lacking in contributions or something though, everyone contributing so far is doing a great job. :cheers:
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 6:06 PM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

I like some parts of that idea, but I think others can be trimmed. I also think that if the mother ran away and then came back things might get a bit too complicated - can we have his mother die in childbirth or something?

I'll get started on a full story arc as soon as one of you guys gives the go-ahead.
I like some parts of that idea, but I think others can be trimmed. I also think that if the mother ran away and then came back things might get a bit too complicated - can we have his mother die in childbirth or something? I'll get started on a full story arc as soon as one of you guys gives the go-ahead.
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 12:59 AM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

I think the mother should just leave the father after he became an alcoholic. She would sort of abandon her son, causing him to feel more vulnerable, which is what we kind of want from this character. I think the mother should just leave the father after he became an alcoholic. She would sort of abandon her son, causing him to feel more vulnerable, which is what we kind of want from this character.
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 1:31 AM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

classicrockboy wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 8:31pm :
I think the mother should just leave the father after he became an alcoholic. She would sort of abandon her son, causing him to feel more vulnerable, which is what we kind of want from this character.
This is what I was thinking. If his mother dies, it would be just another person who died in his life, which would probably just make him sadder, instead of feeling abandoned. His mother abandoning him for her own good contributes to the way he feels about the circumstances always making life harder for him. It also contributes to the way his father judging him after his brother dies, his father calls him a failure in comparison to his brother and that feeling becomes stronger once his mother leaves him. She would have never left if his brother was still alive (or so that's what he thinks).

EDIT:

Yeah, pretty much what classisrockboy just said, but with more words :p
[QUOTE u='classicrockboy' d='2010-02-25 20:31:32']I think the mother should just leave the father after he became an alcoholic. She would sort of abandon her son, causing him to feel more vulnerable, which is what we kind of want from this character.[/QUOTE] This is what I was thinking. If his mother dies, it would be just another person who died in his life, which would probably just make him sadder, instead of feeling abandoned. His mother abandoning him for her own good contributes to the way he feels about the circumstances always making life harder for him. It also contributes to the way his father judging him after his brother dies, his father calls him a failure in comparison to his brother and that feeling becomes stronger once his mother leaves him. She would have never left if his brother was still alive (or so that's what he thinks).

EDIT:

Yeah, pretty much what classisrockboy just said, but with more words :p
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 11:53 AM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

well-put my good friend :cheers: well-put my good friend :cheers:
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 4:59 PM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

I just don't really like the idea of her coming back later. I think it's unnecessary and overcomplicates things. I just don't really like the idea of her coming back later. I think it's unnecessary and overcomplicates things.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:00 PM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

Well, making her come back isn't exactly necessary to the story, so that could possibly be left out, though we would need another reason for the character to fall into a depression then. Well, making her come back isn't exactly necessary to the story, so that could possibly be left out, though we would need another reason for the character to fall into a depression then.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 3:55 PM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

I think his brother dying, his dad turning into a raging alcoholic, and his mother abandoning his family is quite depressing as it is, but that's just me. I think his brother dying, his dad turning into a raging alcoholic, and his mother abandoning his family is quite depressing as it is, but that's just me.
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 11:40 PM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

Agreed. It may be a bit tricky to implement all of Ultimate-Slash's backstory, so it may be easier to just skip the part where he's happy with his life for a while. Agreed. It may be a bit tricky to implement all of Ultimate-Slash's backstory, so it may be easier to just skip the part where he's happy with his life for a while.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 12:35 AM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

classicrockboy wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 6:40pm :
I think his brother dying, his dad turning into a raging alcoholic, and his mother abandoning his family is quite depressing as it is, but that's just me.

That might be true, though he needs to get depressed again while he's grown up and has a family. Or we should - as FrustratedRocka - said, leave the happy part of his life out, but that would put way to much drama into the story I think, plus the character would be depressed all of his life, and that would change up several things in my original story, simplifying the story too much I think.

And @ FrustratedRocka:

To be honest, I don't think it would be all that hard to implement those things into the storyline. But that could just be me, I don't know how others would be able to work with that information, it kinda helps that I'm working with my own backstory in mind, so it's a lot easier for me to think up things from that perspective :p:

Off topic:

Damn, we really need more people posting here on a frequent basis...
[QUOTE u='classicrockboy' d='2010-02-27 18:40:01']I think his brother dying, his dad turning into a raging alcoholic, and his mother abandoning his family is quite depressing as it is, but that's just me.[/QUOTE] That might be true, though he needs to get depressed again while he's grown up and has a family. Or we should - as FrustratedRocka - said, leave the happy part of his life out, but that would put way to much drama into the story I think, plus the character would be depressed all of his life, and that would change up several things in my original story, simplifying the story too much I think. And @ FrustratedRocka: To be honest, I don't think it would be all that hard to implement those things into the storyline. But that could just be me, I don't know how others would be able to work with that information, it kinda helps that I'm working with my own backstory in mind, so it's a lot easier for me to think up things from that perspective :p: Off topic: Damn, we really need more people posting here on a frequent basis...
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 10:45 AM - Quote - Report!

Kensai

ultimate-slash wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 5:45am :
Off topic:

Damn, we really need more people posting here on a frequent basis...

Seriously? It's been a few days since I last checked and you people have written enough to make a couple of novels.

Can someone make a short TL;DR of what you got so far? Like the very very basic stuff.
[QUOTE u='ultimate-slash' d='2010-02-28 05:45:48']Off topic: Damn, we really need more people posting here on a frequent basis...[/QUOTE] Seriously? It's been a few days since I last checked and you people have written enough to make a couple of novels. Can someone make a short TL;DR of what you got so far? Like the very very basic stuff.
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 11:39 AM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

Sure.

Backstory:
- Brother died in war
- Abusive father (Father always loved his brother more)
- Mother ran off
- Enjoyed writing, became a writer later on.
- Father died
- Stepmother treated him like dirt
- He ran off to the city.
- Became a writer
- Gets married and has kids
- Mother came back (We're still debating this one)
- Falls into depression
- He became the same person his father was
- Killed his wifeís lover by accident
- Ran off and joined the crew off a fishing boat
Plot (which we really should move to the other thread):
- Falls off the fishing boat during a storm
- Enters dream world with no memories
- People in dream world start to remind him of real life
Sure. Backstory: - Brother died in war - Abusive father (Father always loved his brother more) - Mother ran off - Enjoyed writing, became a writer later on. - Father died - Stepmother treated him like dirt - He ran off to the city. - Became a writer - Gets married and has kids - Mother came back (We're still debating this one) - Falls into depression - He became the same person his father was - Killed his wifeís lover by accident - Ran off and joined the crew off a fishing boat Plot (which we really should move to the other thread): - Falls off the fishing boat during a storm - Enters dream world with no memories - People in dream world start to remind him of real life
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 2:49 PM - Quote - Report!

classicrockboy

Idea for his depression:
- not doing too well at work
- boss fires him
- wife and kids leave him
- drinks away his sorrows
- usual depression stuff

This might help: http://www.depression.com/causes_of_depression.htm l
Idea for his depression: - not doing too well at work - boss fires him - wife and kids leave him - drinks away his sorrows - usual depression stuff This might help: http://www.depression.com/causes_of_depression.html
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 8:38 PM - Quote - Report!

ultimate-slash

That could possibly work, though why would he be fired, and why would his wife and kids leave him? Just trying to fill out the blancs here, not discrediting ideas or anything :p

And what about the part where he kills his wifes lover? Would he follow his wife in a drunken/stoned/high/doped up rage and then accidently kill her lover like I suggested? Or could that part be changed in something else too?
That could possibly work, though why would he be fired, and why would his wife and kids leave him? Just trying to fill out the blancs here, not discrediting ideas or anything :p And what about the part where he kills his wifes lover? Would he follow his wife in a drunken/stoned/high/doped up rage and then accidently kill her lover like I suggested? Or could that part be changed in something else too?
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 8:59 PM - Quote - Report!

Kensai

Thanks alot for that, frustrated :cheers:

Nice stuff so far, how much are you guys going to focus on the different segments?
Thanks alot for that, frustrated :cheers: Nice stuff so far, how much are you guys going to focus on the different segments?
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 1:46 AM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

This is mostly the backstory thread. Anything related to the actual events of the album should be placed on the plot thread. This is mostly the backstory thread. Anything related to the actual events of the album should be placed on the plot thread.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 10:53 PM - Quote - Report!

kumamilesbear

I've been away from this project for too long ><

DAMN YOU TRIMESTER FINALS!!!!
I've been away from this project for too long >< DAMN YOU TRIMESTER FINALS!!!!
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 3:40 PM - Quote - Report!

FrustratedRocka

That sucks dude. I don't have trimesters. That sucks dude. I don't have trimesters.
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 8:49 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand