Save Gibson

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

The reason Gibson prices are so high

XxDethmetalxX

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management /2006-02-20-forum-gibson_x.htm

Q:What else did you do?

A: I said we are going to increase prices. Prices were ridiculously low. And people said, the price has been decreasing 20% a year, how can you reverse that? I said I'm just going to double the prices on a lot of models. I actually tested it and got an inverse price curve. Basically it showed that every time I raised prices a certain amount, volume would go up.

He also apparently plans on Gibson being the Nike of guitars. This guy wants money, not quality.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2006-02-20-forum-gibson_x.htm

Q:What else did you do?

A: I said we are going to increase prices. Prices were ridiculously low. And people said, the price has been decreasing 20% a year, how can you reverse that? I said I'm just going to double the prices on a lot of models. I actually tested it and got an inverse price curve. Basically it showed that every time I raised prices a certain amount, volume would go up.

He also apparently plans on Gibson being the Nike of guitars. This guy wants money, not quality.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 6:47 AM - Quote - Report!

Waffleguy

He's killing gibson. why has nobody else seen this before? If they doubled the price and have the same quality less people will buy a gibson. owning a Gibson is just about prestige now. He's killing gibson.
why has nobody else seen this before? If they doubled the price and have the same quality less people will buy a gibson. owning a Gibson is just about prestige now.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 11:49 AM - Quote - Report!

BEBEB

Double price? They're too expensive anyway. And what exactly does it mean by Nike of guitars? Like, merchandise ither than guitars or something? Double price? They're too expensive anyway. And what exactly does it mean by Nike of guitars? Like, merchandise ither than guitars or something?
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 1:00 PM - Quote - Report!

aaciseric

BEBEB wrote on Aug 15th, 2009 at 8:00am :
Double price? They're too expensive anyway. And what exactly does it mean by Nike of guitars? Like, merchandise ither than guitars or something?
I think he means putting making money over making decent instruments. A damn shame. This guy needs a swift kick to the nads and his marching orders.
BEBEB wrote on Aug 15th, 2009 at 8:00am :
Double price? They're too expensive anyway. And what exactly does it mean by Nike of guitars? Like, merchandise ither than guitars or something?

I think he means putting making money over making decent instruments. A damn shame. This guy needs a swift kick to the nads and his marching orders.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 1:02 PM - Quote - Report!

tancanada

I about shitted myself when I read the double pricing thing. Hell if Im paying $4000 for a Flying V. I about shitted myself when I read the double pricing thing. Hell if Im paying $4000 for a Flying V.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 5:58 PM - Quote - Report!

pawnshopguitars

This guy is clearly using the Gibson name to sell guitars. Maybe he's fooling people now, but give it a few years and no-one will buy a Gibson anymore. This prick has to be stopped. This guy is clearly using the Gibson name to sell guitars. Maybe he's fooling people now, but give it a few years and no-one will buy a Gibson anymore. This prick has to be stopped.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 7:59 PM - Quote - Report!

cornmancer

The best 2 outcomes I can come up with is that Henry leaves, whether it be willing or the share holders force him out, and someone remotely intelligent takes his place, or the company goes under and Fender buys out the brand, if not Gibson then at least epiphone. The best 2 outcomes I can come up with is that Henry leaves, whether it be willing or the share holders force him out, and someone remotely intelligent takes his place, or the company goes under and Fender buys out the brand, if not Gibson then at least epiphone.
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 8:36 PM - Quote - Report!

the humanity

^ if Fender bought out Gibson, Fender would have a dangerous amount of influence over the old school guitar market. better for the market that Gibson remain a bloated fish of a company. if a less powerful company, such as Carvin, ESP, Godin, or PRS got ahold of the reigns it would be much more beneficial to the guitar market as a whole- though if Gibson got partitioned out like a pay per slice pizza, a lot of smaller companies would be helped out with Steinberger, Epiphone, or Baldwin designs, and Fender wouldn't be reduced totally (though with the powerful influence Fender designs like the telecaster and strat have had recently, Fender will not be going under easily without a crap CEO like this clown in charge. ^ if Fender bought out Gibson, Fender would have a dangerous amount of influence over the old school guitar market. better for the market that Gibson remain a bloated fish of a company. if a less powerful company, such as Carvin, ESP, Godin, or PRS got ahold of the reigns it would be much more beneficial to the guitar market as a whole- though if Gibson got partitioned out like a pay per slice pizza, a lot of smaller companies would be helped out with Steinberger, Epiphone, or Baldwin designs, and Fender wouldn't be reduced totally (though with the powerful influence Fender designs like the telecaster and strat have had recently, Fender will not be going under easily without a crap CEO like this clown in charge.
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 12:44 AM - Quote - Report!

Necrolysis

haha. look at the 'education' box under the green title:

Education: B.S. in engineering at General Motors Institute, Flint, Mich.; began MBA at University of Rochester at night; got a General Motors fellowship at Harvard Business School.

he got his bs from general motors. that explains so much....
:D
haha. look at the 'education' box under the green title: Education: B.S. in engineering at General Motors Institute, Flint, Mich.; began MBA at University of Rochester at night; got a General Motors fellowship at Harvard Business School. he got his bs from general motors. that explains so much.... :D
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 5:59 PM - Quote - Report!

davidrf

Now THAT'S an asshole. Now THAT'S an asshole.
Posted: Aug 23, 2011 11:44 AM - Quote - Report!

PsiGuy60

If I meet this Henry in person I'm going to go see if it's possible to turn his head into a perfect cube. If I meet this Henry in person I'm going to go see if it's possible to turn his head into a perfect cube.
Posted: Aug 24, 2011 5:29 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand