Slide Player's Guild

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Slide Guitar Recommendation

Wood & Metal

Hello all!

I got introduced to slide guitar via the man in the group profile picture: Duane Allman.

After hearing his ethereal playing, I decided slide is definitely a technique I want to pursue.

At the moment I'm not very good, since its kinda tricky to play slide and sound good at the same time, but I'm getting there.

What other good slide guitar players and resources/lessons are there that I can learn from?
Hello all!

I got introduced to slide guitar via the man in the group profile picture: Duane Allman.

After hearing his ethereal playing, I decided slide is definitely a technique I want to pursue.

At the moment I'm not very good, since its kinda tricky to play slide and sound good at the same time, but I'm getting there.

What other good slide guitar players and resources/lessons are there that I can learn from?
Posted: Sep 2, 2008 5:05 PM - Quote - Report!

planetogo

My suggestion, a wierd one, if you want to play electric slide is listen to soul singers from the late sixties and early seventies (Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding are probably where to start) and try to figure out bits of their vocal lines on slide guitar. Play them however you want, whatever sounds best to you.

Guitar tone is a major factor in electric slide, but get it right and you'll get the whole Duane Allman thing: making the guitar sound like a human voice. The best way to learn slide guitar is to do your own thing and figure out what sounds good.

And check out this guy:

www.bobbrozman.com/
My suggestion, a wierd one, if you want to play electric slide is listen to soul singers from the late sixties and early seventies (Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding are probably where to start) and try to figure out bits of their vocal lines on slide guitar. Play them however you want, whatever sounds best to you.

Guitar tone is a major factor in electric slide, but get it right and you'll get the whole Duane Allman thing: making the guitar sound like a human voice. The best way to learn slide guitar is to do your own thing and figure out what sounds good.

And check out this guy:

www.bobbrozman.com/
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 12:39 AM - Quote - Report!

cornmancer

Midnight Rambler, which I think inspired Midnight Rider though I could be wrong, has some great slide. And if you learn that do what I did, I'm working on the harmonica part now. Midnight Rambler, which I think inspired Midnight Rider though I could be wrong, has some great slide. And if you learn that do what I did, I'm working on the harmonica part now.
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 1:58 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand