Snooker

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

O'Sullivan fined and has 700 ranking points docked

Harmonius

World champion Ronnie O'Sullivan has been fined by World Snooker and docked ranking points for lewd comments at a media conference at the China Open.

The 32-year-old lost the 700 ranking points he earned for his first-round defeat by Marco Fu in Beijing, but he will remain world number one.

O'Sullivan was fined 3,750, which comprised his 2,750 prize money for the event and 1,000 to cover costs.

"Ronnie has accepted his punishment," said a spokesman for O'Sullivan.

"He realises he made a mistake, but he never intended to offend anyone."

O'Sullivan's sexually suggestive comments were branded as "unacceptable" by World Snooker chairman Sir Rodney Walker and the matter was referred to a disciplinary committee.


"He wants to forget what happened and move forward," added the spokesman for O'Sullivan's management company 110Sport.

"He has apologised to World Snooker, the promoter of the China Open, his fans and also to his sponsors.

"He is keen to get on with his career and continue demonstrating why he is regarded as the best player in the world."

O'Sullivan had already apologised for his comments, admitting he was embarrassed by his actions and chastising himself for letting down his family with his behaviour at the tournament in March.

Since then, he has won his third world title with a comprehensive 18-8 defeat of Ali Carter in the final in April.

In May 2007 O'Sullivan was fined after walking out of a match against Stephen Hendry, and he was banned and fined in 1996 for assaulting a snooker official.


World champion Ronnie O'Sullivan has been fined by World Snooker and docked ranking points for lewd comments at a media conference at the China Open.

The 32-year-old lost the 700 ranking points he earned for his first-round defeat by Marco Fu in Beijing, but he will remain world number one.

O'Sullivan was fined 3,750, which comprised his 2,750 prize money for the event and 1,000 to cover costs.

"Ronnie has accepted his punishment," said a spokesman for O'Sullivan.

"He realises he made a mistake, but he never intended to offend anyone."

O'Sullivan's sexually suggestive comments were branded as "unacceptable" by World Snooker chairman Sir Rodney Walker and the matter was referred to a disciplinary committee.


"He wants to forget what happened and move forward," added the spokesman for O'Sullivan's management company 110Sport.

"He has apologised to World Snooker, the promoter of the China Open, his fans and also to his sponsors.

"He is keen to get on with his career and continue demonstrating why he is regarded as the best player in the world."

O'Sullivan had already apologised for his comments, admitting he was embarrassed by his actions and chastising himself for letting down his family with his behaviour at the tournament in March.

Since then, he has won his third world title with a comprehensive 18-8 defeat of Ali Carter in the final in April.

In May 2007 O'Sullivan was fined after walking out of a match against Stephen Hendry, and he was banned and fined in 1996 for assaulting a snooker official.


Posted: Jun 8, 2008 11:34 PM - Quote - Report!

Phill-Rock

He got lucky there. They won't put up with that much longer. He got lucky there. They won't put up with that much longer.
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 10:20 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand