Self-Taught Guitarists United

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

How did you teach yourself to play?

Riff Driven

How exactly did you do it? Books, Magazines, UG, YouTube? Why did you do it? The intoxicating need to learn a certain riff/solo? The desire to just make loud noises? Or simply because an old guitar happened to be there in times of severe boredom? Tell us your story.
How exactly did you do it? Books, Magazines, UG, YouTube? Why did you do it? The intoxicating need to learn a certain riff/solo? The desire to just make loud noises? Or simply because an old guitar happened to be there in times of severe boredom? Tell us your story.  
Posted: May 10, 2010 5:32 AM - Quote - Report!

electric killer

well let me think september 21 i think it was ipicked up my guitar which i left there for a year(i am ashamed) started hiting a few strings and it didn't sound to bad so i went on google the next day found a few chords and learnt my first song highway to hell acdc well let me think september 21 i think it was ipicked up my guitar which i left there for a year(i am ashamed) started hiting a few strings and it didn't sound to bad so i went on google the next day found a few chords and learnt my first song highway to hell acdc
Posted: May 25, 2010 2:05 PM - Quote - Report!

zeppdc

well i us UG books youtube google and yeah i also learn by ear well i us UG books youtube google and yeah i also learn by ear
Posted: May 26, 2010 7:55 AM - Quote - Report!

Crofty89

I'm self taught from UG and Total Guitar magazine, all because my friend was selling an acoustic cheap. I'm now re-learning from a book called From Zero to Rock Hero because I missed a fair bit of important stuff. I'm self taught from UG and Total Guitar magazine, all because my friend was selling an acoustic cheap. I'm now re-learning from a book called From Zero to Rock Hero because I missed a fair bit of important stuff.
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 9:20 PM - Quote - Report!

metalkamikazee

I got my first guitar at toys'r'us. once i got home i went on google and searched "how to play the guitar". I came across this site and my learning started here. I went on youtube for tutorials and that's about it. I got my first guitar at toys'r'us. once i got home i went on google and searched "how to play the guitar". I came across this site and my learning started here. I went on youtube for tutorials and that's about it.
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 12:05 AM - Quote - Report!

Delta3Xray

i started by learning random metallica songs on my sister's old acoustic, then got my first electric a year later (summer '08, i believe...), learned more random songs, and now here i am in a gig-playing band, sweeping all over the fretboard :) i started by learning random metallica songs on my sister's old acoustic, then got my first electric a year later (summer '08, i believe...), learned more random songs, and now here i am in a gig-playing band, sweeping all over the fretboard :)
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 2:18 AM - Quote - Report!

Unicronus

Delta3Xray wrote on Sep 2nd, 2010 at 9:18pm :
i started by learning random metallica songs on my sister's old acoustic, then got my first electric a year later (summer '08, i believe...), learned more random songs, and now here i am in a gig-playing band, sweeping all over the fretboard :)

funny thing, I started learning random songs (a bunch of Metallica) on my sisters acoustic, Im saving up to buy an electric now.
[QUOTE u='Delta3Xray' d='2010-09-02 21:18:14']i started by learning random metallica songs on my sister's old acoustic, then got my first electric a year later (summer '08, i believe...), learned more random songs, and now here i am in a gig-playing band, sweeping all over the fretboard :)[/QUOTE] funny thing, I started learning random songs (a bunch of Metallica) on my sisters acoustic, Im saving up to buy an electric now.
Posted: Nov 8, 2010 3:28 AM - Quote - Report!

Kerry fan1

i grabbed a bunch of tabs and started rocking. now im playing tornado of souls, welcome home(sanitarium), dialect chaos, disciple, cemetery gates, cowboys from hell. i grabbed a bunch of tabs and started rocking. now im playing tornado of souls, welcome home(sanitarium), dialect chaos, disciple, cemetery gates, cowboys from hell.
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 2:14 AM - Quote - Report!

freedomdemon

my playing started about 12yrs ago when my friend was showing me some things on the guitar, but that ended when my brother stole my guitar. now ive been playing about a year and i started out using UG, bought some videos and books, but the reason i do it is because i love the sounds i can make. my playing started about 12yrs ago when my friend was showing me some things on the guitar, but that ended when my brother stole my guitar. now ive been playing about a year and i started out using UG, bought some videos and books, but the reason i do it is because i love the sounds i can make.
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 3:47 AM - Quote - Report!

Somekid94

This site here. I did take lessons for about a month and didn't like them and didn't really learn anything useful so I just learn the songs I like that I can find here. I also bought a Rock House Method DVD, it really helped me get better at improvising and helped me learn the minor scale. And a lot of YouTube. YouTube was helpful.
This site here. I did take lessons for about a month and didn't like them and didn't really learn anything useful so I just learn the songs I like that I can find here.  I also bought a Rock House Method DVD, it really helped me get better at improvising and helped me learn the minor scale.  And a lot of YouTube.  YouTube was helpful.
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 9:10 PM - Quote - Report!

Lil dimebag

i taught myself to play may 25th 2009 i got an essential elements guitar book and taught myself how to read notes and then about a month later i got a pantera cowboys from hell and vulgar display of power guitar tab book and i taught myself how to read tab as well. now i could play by ear and anything anybody puts in front of me or that i hear i could ecreate. oh and ug was very helpful thanks to everyone that submitted tabs. i taught myself to play may 25th 2009 i got an essential elements guitar book and taught myself how to read notes and then about a month later i got a pantera cowboys from hell and vulgar display of power guitar tab book and i taught myself how to read tab as well. now i could play by ear and anything anybody puts in front of me or that i hear i could ecreate. oh and ug was very helpful thanks to everyone that submitted tabs.
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 11:21 PM - Quote - Report!

beaurepairs97

well i got my first guiatr when i was 6 didn't pick it up till i was 10 then went on youtube and on here and looked up tabs and tutorials and a by ear :) well i got my first guiatr when i was 6 didn't pick it up till i was 10 then went on youtube and on here and looked up tabs and tutorials and a by ear :)
Posted: Jun 11, 2011 3:03 AM - Quote - Report!

new yardbird 9

I found an old book in our basement that had some chords and songs in it, so I used that. I found an old book in our basement that had some chords and songs in it, so I used that.
Posted: Mar 13, 2013 2:11 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand