Self-Taught Guitarists United

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

What was the first song you tried to play?

Unicronus

I learned the riffs for Iron Man and smoke on the water before I reall started playing guitar. The first song I actually tried to play was Fade to Black by Metallica because I only had an acoustic guitar. I learned the riffs for Iron Man and smoke on the water before I reall started playing guitar. The first song I actually tried to play was Fade to Black by Metallica because I only had an acoustic guitar.
Posted: Nov 9, 2010 2:06 AM - Quote - Report!

kazozoka

as I remember, the first song I learned to play was American Idiot by Green Day

oh and when I was about 7 years old, I could play Jingle Bells on an acoustic guitar!!
should I count it in?? :D
as I remember, the first song I learned to play was American Idiot by Green Day oh and when I was about 7 years old, I could play Jingle Bells on an acoustic guitar!! should I count it in?? :D
Posted: Nov 11, 2010 7:56 PM - Quote - Report!

gibson2481girl

seven nation army by white stripes, after that i went crazy with learning new songs XD seven nation army by white stripes, after that i went crazy with learning new songs XD
Posted: Nov 12, 2010 8:35 AM - Quote - Report!

electric killer

highway to hell highway to hell
Posted: Nov 24, 2010 1:48 AM - Quote - Report!

Kerry fan1

smoke on the water, holy diver, dead skin mask, seasons in the abyss. playing for four months of this day! smoke on the water, holy diver, dead skin mask, seasons in the abyss. playing for four months of this day!
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 2:11 AM - Quote - Report!

Lil dimebag

i first tried to learn stairway to heaven by led zepplin, but i couldnt so i tried purple haze by jimi hendrix and i mastered it yeah!!! :headbang: i first tried to learn stairway to heaven by led zepplin, but i couldnt so i tried purple haze by jimi hendrix and i mastered it yeah!!! :headbang:
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 11:25 PM - Quote - Report!

Crofty89

The Firefly theme. Gave up after a while and never got round to properly learning it. The Firefly theme. Gave up after a while and never got round to properly learning it.
Posted: Feb 6, 2011 12:12 AM - Quote - Report!

Crazed Shredder

First riff I ever learned was Fly By Night from Rush First riff I ever learned was Fly By Night from Rush
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 6:44 PM - Quote - Report!

metalkamikazee

the first song i ever attempted was unholy confessions by a7x but i could only play the chorus riff
now i can play the whole song
the first song i ever attempted was unholy confessions by a7x but i could only play the chorus riff now i can play the whole song
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:20 PM - Quote - Report!

E_Paradox

First song I tried was Safe to Say by Playjerise... couldn't, gave up for a month or so. Then started playing Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton, mastered (term used loosely) it, and then returned to Safe to Say, which I got through! Yay... First song I tried was Safe to Say by Playjerise... couldn't, gave up for a month or so. Then started playing Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton, mastered (term used loosely) it, and then returned to Safe to Say, which I got through! Yay...
Posted: May 9, 2011 5:28 AM - Quote - Report!

beaurepairs97

first song i learnt was back in black by AC/DC then TNT :) first song i learnt was back in black by AC/DC then TNT :)
Posted: Jun 11, 2011 2:59 AM - Quote - Report!

ramram^_^

I tried to learn dream on but only learned the intro and gave up. Now I can play the whole thing. I tried to learn dream on but only learned the intro and gave up. Now I can play the whole thing.
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 5:58 PM - Quote - Report!

eGraham

The first song I learned was a bluegrass version of "Amazing Grace." My grandparents, who got me started in music, are both amazing musicians in their own right. Standup bass, guitar, steel guitar, singing, piano -- all self taught.

I only learned a few chords from them to get on my way. I never bought into the whole bluegrass thing. Nothing against it, it's just not my style. I think the first song I tried to learn was Monkey Man by the Stones, but Richard's complex style of playing was too much for me at the time. I moved onto simpler things like "Good Riddance" by Greenday, and "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd, and various other Beatles songs.

I'm glad to say that my playing has matured over the years having since first picked up the guitar. Self-taught is, I believe, a harder but more rewarding route to take. Good like to you all!
The first song I learned was a bluegrass version of "Amazing Grace." My grandparents, who got me started in music, are both amazing musicians in their own right. Standup bass, guitar, steel guitar, singing, piano -- all self taught. I only learned a few chords from them to get on my way. I never bought into the whole bluegrass thing. Nothing against it, it's just not my style. I think the first song I tried to learn was Monkey Man by the Stones, but Richard's complex style of playing was too much for me at the time. I moved onto simpler things like "Good Riddance" by Greenday, and "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd, and various other Beatles songs. I'm glad to say that my playing has matured over the years having since first picked up the guitar. Self-taught is, I believe, a harder but more rewarding route to take. Good like to you all!
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 12:11 AM - Quote - Report!

maximumride

i taught myself on the bass and the first one i tried was the star spangled banner since then i have only tried one other song and that one didnt turn out too well i taught myself on the bass and the first one i tried was the star spangled banner since then i have only tried one other song and that one didnt turn out too well
Posted: Aug 20, 2011 6:28 PM - Quote - Report!

RickyThomson

First thing i learnt was 'White Riot' by 'The Clash'. Once i got the hang of A/D i could play the chorus lol.

The first full song i could play was 'When i come around' by 'Green Day'.

And if you wanna get specific, the first riff i learnt was the intro to 'Gotta Gettaway' by 'Stiff little fingers'.

:-)
First thing i learnt was 'White Riot' by 'The Clash'. Once i got the hang of A/D i could play the chorus lol. The first full song i could play was 'When i come around' by 'Green Day'. And if you wanna get specific, the first riff i learnt was the intro to 'Gotta Gettaway' by 'Stiff little fingers'. :-)
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 6:27 PM - Quote - Report!

new yardbird 9

I think the first song I learned how to play was Highway to Hell. I think the first song I learned how to play was Highway to Hell.
Posted: Mar 5, 2013 1:12 AM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand