Technique

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Song Writing Techniques

Ryan Unplugged

If you have any techniques or problems post them here
If you have any techniques or problems post them here
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 9:05 PM - Quote - Report!

J0SH169

I CANT WRITE SONGS ANYMORE I CANT WRITE SONGS ANYMORE
Posted: Nov 8, 2007 12:06 AM - Quote - Report!

Ryan Unplugged

kk well there must be a reason why you can't seem to. Is it lack of inspiration or you just generally can't write a song? kk well there must be a reason why you can't seem to. Is it lack of inspiration or you just generally can't write a song?
Posted: Nov 8, 2007 6:31 PM - Quote - Report!

aig91

J0SH169 wrote on Nov 7th, 2007 at 7:06pm :
I CANT WRITE SONGS ANYMORE

I can't write songs anymore either :sad: I'm good with writing the musical parts, but I SUCK at the lyrical parts. Oh well, I guess the songs can be instrumentals :p

I can't write songs anymore either :sad: I'm good with writing the musical parts, but I SUCK at the lyrical parts. Oh well, I guess the songs can be instrumentals :p
Posted: Nov 8, 2007 10:00 PM - Quote - Report!

Ryan Unplugged

aig91 wrote on Nov 8th, 2007 at 5:00pm :
Hmmm have you tried reading poetry and tried writing some. If you are good at poetry you are good at writing lyrics for songs! If i where you i would study some poems, pick out the bits you like and then try writing your own. Also plan out what you want to include in the song like a story. Intro, Chorus, Verse maybe outro!Give it a go! May help
aig91 wrote on Nov 8th, 2007 at 5:00pm :
Hmmm have you tried reading poetry and tried writing some. If you are good at poetry you are good at writing lyrics for songs! If i where you i would study some poems, pick out the bits you like and then try writing your own. Also plan out what you want to include in the song like a story. Intro, Chorus, Verse maybe outro!Give it a go! May help
Posted: Nov 8, 2007 10:21 PM - Quote - Report!

J0SH169

Ryan Unplugged wrote on Nov 8th, 2007 at 1:31pm :
kk well there must be a reason why you can't seem to. Is it lack of inspiration or you just generally can't write a song?

J0SH169

mainly because of lack of inspiration
Ryan Unplugged wrote on Nov 8th, 2007 at 1:31pm :
kk well there must be a reason why you can't seem to. Is it lack of inspiration or you just generally can't write a song?

J0SH169

mainly because of lack of inspiration
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 1:08 AM - Quote - Report!

Ryan Unplugged

Ahhh ok! Well what sort of songs normally inspire you? Ahhh ok! Well what sort of songs normally inspire you?
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 9:09 AM - Quote - Report!

buckethead_jr

Listen to more stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Listen to more stuff you wouldn't normally listen to.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 5:31 PM - Quote - Report!

J0SH169

Ryan Unplugged wrote on Nov 9th, 2007 at 4:09am :
Ahhh ok! Well what sort of songs normally inspire you?
anything...
Ryan Unplugged wrote on Nov 9th, 2007 at 4:09am :
Ahhh ok! Well what sort of songs normally inspire you?
anything...
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 6:32 PM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

for me, sometimes a few key words and a nice coupla chords is allu need to kick it off. The more u worry bout it, the less ideas [good ones] you'll come up with. for me, sometimes a few key words and a nice coupla chords is allu need to kick it off. The more u worry bout it, the less ideas [good ones] you'll come up with.
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 2:24 AM - Quote - Report!

aig91

"Hmmm have you tried reading poetry and tried writing some. If you are good at poetry you are good at writing lyrics for songs! If i where you i would study some poems, pick out the bits you like and then try writing your own. Also plan out what you want to include in the song like a story. Intro, Chorus, Verse maybe outro!

Give it a go! May help"

Hmm, I'll give that a try and see if it helps me improve. Thanks Ryan Unplugged :D
"Hmmm have you tried reading poetry and tried writing some. If you are good at poetry you are good at writing lyrics for songs! If i where you i would study some poems, pick out the bits you like and then try writing your own. Also plan out what you want to include in the song like a story. Intro, Chorus, Verse maybe outro!

Give it a go! May help"

Hmm, I'll give that a try and see if it helps me improve. Thanks Ryan Unplugged :D
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 4:35 AM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

i hav a few songs who's lyrics r derived from such peots as William Blake and T.S.Eliot and my personal 33 verse favorite, Robert Browning's "Childe Roland..." i hav a few songs who's lyrics r derived from such peots as William Blake and T.S.Eliot and my personal 33 verse favorite, Robert Browning's "Childe Roland..."
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 7:36 AM - Quote - Report!

J0SH169

hahahahhaha hahahahhaha
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 1:59 AM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

just wrote a song yesterday, and i actually was crying as i wrote out the last few verses. the 1st verse came out as i was playing a bluesy ramble in E/E7, not 12 bar, and i just put down the git and up-picked a pen and paper. it is quite a personal song and the fact that it affected me emotionally says to me that its worth developing, as uncomfortable as that may make me [very]. just wrote a song yesterday, and i actually was crying as i wrote out the last few verses. the 1st verse came out as i was playing a bluesy ramble in E/E7, not 12 bar, and i just put down the git and up-picked a pen and paper. it is quite a personal song and the fact that it affected me emotionally says to me that its worth developing, as uncomfortable as that may make me [very].
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 7:42 AM - Quote - Report!

Ryan Unplugged

I suppose as well it depends on how old you are, if your like 12 there isn't much to write about. I'm 16 but alot has happened to me through the years so its easy to write about things that have happened! I suppose as well it depends on how old you are, if your like 12 there isn't much to write about. I'm 16 but alot has happened to me through the years so its easy to write about things that have happened!
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 4:39 PM - Quote - Report!

J0SH169

hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 9:39 PM - Quote - Report!

Ryan Unplugged

:) it is true, try writing about something that has happened to you and twist the words abit see what you come up with! :) it is true, try writing about something that has happened to you and twist the words abit see what you come up with!
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 7:25 AM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

I couldn't agree more, well said ryan. I couldn't agree more, well said ryan.
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 7:30 AM - Quote - Report!

Ryan Unplugged

=) no probz! =) no probz!
Posted: Nov 16, 2007 10:35 AM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

as you also said, i think, about trying stuff that is new and unfamiliar, thus creating great new sounds you never realized you get out of ye guitar, and then you have it! sometimes it;s that easy, sometimes it never is ... as you also said, i think, about trying stuff that is new and unfamiliar, thus creating great new sounds you never realized you get out of ye guitar, and then you have it! sometimes it;s that easy, sometimes it never is ...
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 8:03 AM - Quote - Report!

Ryan Unplugged

zman@home wrote on Nov 17th, 2007 at 3:03am :
as you also said, i think, about trying stuff that is new and unfamiliar, thus creating great new sounds you never realized you get out of ye guitar, and then you have it! sometimes it;s that easy, sometimes it never is ...
so true!!
zman@home wrote on Nov 17th, 2007 at 3:03am :
as you also said, i think, about trying stuff that is new and unfamiliar, thus creating great new sounds you never realized you get out of ye guitar, and then you have it! sometimes it;s that easy, sometimes it never is ...
so true!!
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 11:30 PM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

cheers! cheers!
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 2:24 PM - Quote - Report!

Halfmastmutiny

i'm good at writing songs, i'm actually writing one now. i'm up to the beginning of the second verse and i just started today. i'm good at writing songs, i'm actually writing one now. i'm up to the beginning of the second verse and i just started today.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 6:33 PM - Quote - Report!

Halfmastmutiny

ok i'm finished with it.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.ph p?p=12275624#post12275624
ok i'm finished with it.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.ph p?p=12275624#post12275624
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 1:59 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand