UG Book Club

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Book 1: Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

C. Limon

The first book has been selected and it's Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Participants should get the book within a week (by 11/16/09) but feel free to discuss the book as soon as possible as long as the poster states which chapter they are on before posting anything so the story does not get spoiled for someone who isn't as far in the book.

Right now the general assumption is that everyone should be able to read the book within 4 weeks (starting 11/16/09) and a 5th week will be used to discuss the book in it's entirety as well as discussing the suggestions and poll for the next book. All is subject to change depending on how things go this first time through.

Feel free to start whatever thread you wish as long as it's not spam. Questions or statements unrelated to book being read should be posted in the Comment section of the Group Index.

The description (provided by Amazon.com) for Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut:

Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.
The first book has been selected and it's Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Participants should get the book within a week (by 11/16/09) but feel free to discuss the book as soon as possible as long as the poster states which chapter they are on before posting anything so the story does not get spoiled for someone who isn't as far in the book.

Right now the general assumption is that everyone should be able to read the book within 4 weeks (starting 11/16/09) and a 5th week will be used to discuss the book in it's entirety as well as discussing the suggestions and poll for the next book. All is subject to change depending on how things go this first time through.

Feel free to start whatever thread you wish as long as it's not spam. Questions or statements unrelated to book being read should be posted in the Comment section of the Group Index.

The description (provided by Amazon.com) for Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut:

Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 2:35 AM - Quote - Report!

NinjaSlayHuman

Ordering it now Ordering it now
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 5:16 PM - Quote - Report!

C. Limon

Just picked up the book today at Barnes and Noble. I'll probably take read the first chapter by the end of today :). Just picked up the book today at Barnes and Noble. I'll probably take read the first chapter by the end of today :).
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 10:31 PM - Quote - Report!

JackWhite333

Are we gonna make a thread for discussion, or just use this group page? Are we gonna make a thread for discussion, or just use this group page?
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 10:44 PM - Quote - Report!

C. Limon

Just use the group page. Start a new thread if you want, but in the group page. Just use the group page. Start a new thread if you want, but in the group page.
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 10:56 PM - Quote - Report!

GoldenBlues

So is this book club still happening? Because I've been reading the book. So is this book club still happening? Because I've been reading the book.
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 1:09 AM - Quote - Report!

C. Limon

Yeah it's still going. It's been a little dead since the announcement of the book but hopefully it picks up. I got the book on Saturday so keep reading and discuss whatever you feel needs to be discussed. Yeah it's still going. It's been a little dead since the announcement of the book but hopefully it picks up. I got the book on Saturday so keep reading and discuss whatever you feel needs to be discussed.
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 1:41 AM - Quote - Report!

JackWhite333

Just got the book Just got the book
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 2:40 AM - Quote - Report!

GoldenBlues

I just finished it. I'll wait until somebody else finishes too before giving my opinion. I just finished it. I'll wait until somebody else finishes too before giving my opinion.
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 5:36 AM - Quote - Report!

NinjaSlayHuman

A thread in the Pit would be better, IMO. Groups tend to die out rather quickly...

I'm almost finished with the book :)
A thread in the Pit would be better, IMO. Groups tend to die out rather quickly... I'm almost finished with the book :)
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 9:00 PM - Quote - Report!

JackWhite333

I agree with NinjaSlayHuman, more people would see a thread in The Pit than a group page I agree with NinjaSlayHuman, more people would see a thread in The Pit than a group page
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 10:10 PM - Quote - Report!

C. Limon

I'm okay for whichever way we swing it. So go ahead and start a new thread or post in the original UG Book Club thread in the Pit. Just remember, no spoilers unless clearly stated :). I'm okay for whichever way we swing it. So go ahead and start a new thread or post in the original UG Book Club thread in the Pit. Just remember, no spoilers unless clearly stated :).
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 6:41 AM - Quote - Report!

JackWhite333

I made this thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.ph p?p=22329802#post22329802

(I used what you wrote in the first post of this group page, 'cause you said it better than I could lol)
I made this thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22329802#post22329802 (I used what you wrote in the first post of this group page, 'cause you said it better than I could lol)
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 10:36 PM - Quote - Report!

misterfarenheit

im a quarter way through it, interesting albeit a bit hard to follow at times. im a quarter way through it, interesting albeit a bit hard to follow at times.
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 8:09 AM - Quote - Report!

C. Limon

I just finished it. Good read. I just finished it. Good read.
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 9:20 PM - Quote - Report!

GoldenBlues

I'm banned so I cant post in the thread, but I really liked this book. I particularly enjoyed Billy Pilgrim as the main character, instead of some typical badass war type dude. Are we going to do another book next month? I'm banned so I cant post in the thread, but I really liked this book. I particularly enjoyed Billy Pilgrim as the main character, instead of some typical badass war type dude. Are we going to do another book next month?
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 7:52 AM - Quote - Report!

C. Limon

What did you get banned for? If I'm not mistaken, there is still two weeks left for everyone to finish. Maybe we can start discussing the book in one week and then wrap it up the week after. And yes, the plan is to do a book every month but since we started mid-November we have to wait till mid-December to start the next one. What did you get banned for? If I'm not mistaken, there is still two weeks left for everyone to finish. Maybe we can start discussing the book in one week and then wrap it up the week after. And yes, the plan is to do a book every month but since we started mid-November we have to wait till mid-December to start the next one.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 7:38 PM - Quote - Report!

Holy Katana

C. Limon wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 1:41am :
I'm okay for whichever way we swing it. So go ahead and start a new thread or post in the original UG Book Club thread in the Pit. Just remember, no spoilers unless clearly stated :).

I think that literature doesn't truly have spoilers, since most of it isn't based on plot. I mean, come on, Slaughterhouse-Five is nonlinear!

Just my two cents.
[QUOTE u='C. Limon' d='2009-11-18 01:41:30']I'm okay for whichever way we swing it. So go ahead and start a new thread or post in the original UG Book Club thread in the Pit. Just remember, no spoilers unless clearly stated :).[/QUOTE] I think that literature doesn't truly have spoilers, since most of it isn't based on plot. I mean, come on, Slaughterhouse-Five is nonlinear! Just my two cents.
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 8:41 AM - Quote - Report!

C. Limon

Yeah I thought that too but I still think it's fair for everyone to finish first. Yeah I thought that too but I still think it's fair for everyone to finish first.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 4:14 AM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand