Zeppelinism

Group options
Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

mesopatamius

This song owns my soul. The intricate, layered guitar-work, the pounding riff, the crashing drumbeat, the soaring vocals. There aren't words to describe how amazing this song is. I know they got it from Joan Baez, but it's just so much further beyond her version it's insane. I could listen to it over ad over again for hours and find something new every time. Please don't rip off my face for saying this, but personally I think it's as good as, if not better than, Stairway to Heaven, in its own way. And it doesn't even have a solo in it. Imagine how awesome it would be with a solo. Maybe in a live version...
Which brings me to my next point. I was wondering if there is an officially released live version of this song anywhere, because I haven't ever found one.
This song owns my soul. The intricate, layered guitar-work, the pounding riff, the crashing drumbeat, the soaring vocals. There aren't words to describe how amazing this song is. I know they got it from Joan Baez, but it's just so much further beyond her version it's insane. I could listen to it over ad over again for hours and find something new every time. Please don't rip off my face for saying this, but personally I think it's as good as, if not better than, Stairway to Heaven, in its own way. And it doesn't even have a solo in it. Imagine how awesome it would be with a solo. Maybe in a live version...
Which brings me to my next point. I was wondering if there is an officially released live version of this song anywhere, because I haven't ever found one.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 9:22 PM - Quote - Report!

zeppelinpage4

The Led Zeppelin DVD I think has a special features section with the live version....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4672763091 737915141&q=babe+i%27m+gonna+leave+you&total=1144& start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
Not sure if this is the exact one but yeah feel free to give that and the other one's a listen.

Also the studio version does have some short acoustic solo, if you listen.
Great song, and I think most of us will agree it's just as good if not bettter than Stairway atleast I agree lol.
The Led Zeppelin DVD I think has a special features section with the live version....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4672763091 737915141&q=babe+i%27m+gonna+leave+you&total=1144& start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
Not sure if this is the exact one but yeah feel free to give that and the other one's a listen.

Also the studio version does have some short acoustic solo, if you listen.
Great song, and I think most of us will agree it's just as good if not bettter than Stairway atleast I agree lol.
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 1:14 AM - Quote - Report!

|Guitarhead|

Yeah great song! One of the frst led zepp songs i learned on Guitar. Yeah great song! One of the frst led zepp songs i learned on Guitar.
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 1:33 PM - Quote - Report!

|Guitarhead|

I prefer stairway alot though. I prefer stairway alot though.
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 1:33 PM - Quote - Report!

mesopatamius

Thanks for the link dude. And I did know about the short acoustic solos, I just kinda thnk of them as licks. They're too brief and seldom to constitute solos in my opinion. Thanks for the link dude. And I did know about the short acoustic solos, I just kinda thnk of them as licks. They're too brief and seldom to constitute solos in my opinion.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 12:12 AM - Quote - Report!

Page&HammettFan

Zeppelinpage4, that's the live performance on the DVD. You can tell by how Jimmy Page is dressed there :D That was such a cool performance.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that there's no guitar solo in that song.... Jimmy does throw in a few lead parts here and there. It's not like it's completely lacking, and I'd consider that to be possibly his best playing -- from an acoustic standpoint, at the very least -- ever. It definitely demonstrates a side of Jimmy that isn't heard all that often, so it holds a special place in the Led Zeppelin catalog, in my opinion. That fingerpicking thing that he does that's very Mark Knopfler Sultans of Swing-esque (which would be called sweep picking by some, and could be played that way, but it's not really sweeping because it's in the fingers -- not a real sweeping motion). The lead playing on that song is really brilliant...
Zeppelinpage4, that's the live performance on the DVD. You can tell by how Jimmy Page is dressed there :D That was such a cool performance.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that there's no guitar solo in that song.... Jimmy does throw in a few lead parts here and there. It's not like it's completely lacking, and I'd consider that to be possibly his best playing -- from an acoustic standpoint, at the very least -- ever. It definitely demonstrates a side of Jimmy that isn't heard all that often, so it holds a special place in the Led Zeppelin catalog, in my opinion. That fingerpicking thing that he does that's very Mark Knopfler Sultans of Swing-esque (which would be called sweep picking by some, and could be played that way, but it's not really sweeping because it's in the fingers -- not a real sweeping motion). The lead playing on that song is really brilliant...
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 7:12 AM - Quote - Report!

|Guitarhead|

Oh yeah great performance, that. He Sings so well live!!! Oh yeah great performance, that. He Sings so well live!!!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 7:33 PM - Quote - Report!

page3012

power full song but i still like white summer more power full song but i still like white summer more
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 2:49 AM - Quote - Report!

zeppelinpage4

Yeah White Summer/Black Mountain Side live is epic. That version on the DVD, Jimmy goes wild.

And +1 to P&H, thanks for pointing out that vid I thought something seemed off, Jimmy seemed to solo more on the DVD one.
Yeah White Summer/Black Mountain Side live is epic. That version on the DVD, Jimmy goes wild.

And +1 to P&H, thanks for pointing out that vid I thought something seemed off, Jimmy seemed to solo more on the DVD one.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 6:25 AM - Quote - Report!

Page&HammettFan

^
But of course he did :p When they played Heartbreaker live, did he not play the solos longer? Or on Stairway to Heaven (where he could play for 20 minutes for all anyone cared... As long as he played that one lick at the very end! :D :p). It comes as no shock to me that Pagey played a solo in there :p
^
But of course he did :p When they played Heartbreaker live, did he not play the solos longer? Or on Stairway to Heaven (where he could play for 20 minutes for all anyone cared... As long as he played that one lick at the very end! :D :p). It comes as no shock to me that Pagey played a solo in there :p
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 4:40 PM - Quote - Report!

HeliuM

One of, if not their best acoustic songs. It also makes an excellent backing track for soloing in A minor :P. One of, if not their best acoustic songs. It also makes an excellent backing track for soloing in A minor :P.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 10:35 PM - Quote - Report!

mesopatamius

How dare you use a Led Zeppelin song as a backing track for soloing! Pretentious bastard.
jk. It sounds pretty cool when I do it in my head. But still! The nerve!
How dare you use a Led Zeppelin song as a backing track for soloing! Pretentious bastard.
jk. It sounds pretty cool when I do it in my head. But still! The nerve!
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 12:35 AM - Quote - Report!

Page&HammettFan

^
If you're in your room jamming along with CDs, that's all that you're really treating the songs as; backing tracks. I do it all the time, favorites being Rush and Zeppelin.

And, obviously, you have to play along with songs and learn songs to become a better player and musician. If I didn't do it with blues songs then I'd suck much more at the bass than I do currently :p
^
If you're in your room jamming along with CDs, that's all that you're really treating the songs as; backing tracks. I do it all the time, favorites being Rush and Zeppelin.

And, obviously, you have to play along with songs and learn songs to become a better player and musician. If I didn't do it with blues songs then I'd suck much more at the bass than I do currently :p
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 2:34 AM - Quote - Report!

sullo

This song would have to be one of my all time favourites. It doesn't get much better.:cool: This song would have to be one of my all time favourites. It doesn't get much better.:cool:
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 6:26 AM - Quote - Report!

LzAn2424

its like the early equivalent to stairway. its like the early equivalent to stairway.
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 1:49 AM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand