Add to favorites
Forward to a friend

The meaning of "Led Zeppelin"

|Guitarhead|

What exactly is the meaning of the name "Led Zeppelin"?:confused:

Where did it come from?

Who thought of it?

Why was it chosen?

It's a strange name for a band. The thing of having a Zeppelin as your icon is wierd. Did they have some obsession for aircrafts?

This may be a very stupid question with an extremely obvious answer but please if you can clarify, please do.:p
What exactly is the meaning of the name "Led Zeppelin"?:confused:

Where did it come from?

Who thought of it?

Why was it chosen?

It's a strange name for a band. The thing of having a Zeppelin as your icon is wierd. Did they have some obsession for aircrafts?

This may be a very stupid question with an extremely obvious answer but please if you can clarify, please do.:p
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 8:42 PM - Quote - Report!

ManicBluesist

it was simplke... when zepplin were created pete townshend said they were going to 'go down like a lead zepplelin' it was then shortened to Led Zeppelin for fear people may have thought it was lead...as in lead guitar, zeppelin it was simplke... when zepplin were created pete townshend said they were going to 'go down like a lead zepplelin' it was then shortened to Led Zeppelin for fear people may have thought it was lead...as in lead guitar, zeppelin
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 11:56 PM - Quote - Report!

AdayTripper

ManicBluesist wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 6:56pm :
it was simplke... when zepplin were created pete townshend said they were going to 'go down like a lead zepplelin' it was then shortened to Led Zeppelin for fear people may have thought it was lead...as in lead guitar, zeppelin

No.
From Wikipedia:

"The band completed the Scandinavian tour as The New Yardbirds. One account of the band's naming, which has become almost legendary, has it that Keith Moon and John Entwistle suggested that a possible supergroup containing themselves, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck would go down like a lead zeppelin, a term Entwistle used to describe a bad gig. The group deliberately dropped the 'a' in Lead at the suggestion of their manager, Peter Grant, to prevent "thick Americans" from pronouncing it as "leed".
it was simplke... when zepplin were created pete townshend said they were going to 'go down like a lead zepplelin' it was then shortened to Led Zeppelin for fear people may have thought it was lead...as in lead guitar, zeppelin

No.
From Wikipedia:

"The band completed the Scandinavian tour as The New Yardbirds. One account of the band's naming, which has become almost legendary, has it that Keith Moon and John Entwistle suggested that a possible supergroup containing themselves, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck would go down like a lead zeppelin, a term Entwistle used to describe a bad gig. The group deliberately dropped the 'a' in Lead at the suggestion of their manager, Peter Grant, to prevent "thick Americans" from pronouncing it as "leed".
Posted: Nov 3, 2007 6:39 AM - Quote - Report!

TonyRandall

kieth said that, not pete

kieth said that, not pete
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 6:26 AM - Quote - Report!

-Vogel-

You gotta admit that for being a randomly selected name, it's really cool :D You gotta admit that for being a randomly selected name, it's really cool :D
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 11:54 AM - Quote - Report!

woofwoofysback!

-Vogel- wrote on Nov 11th, 2007 at 6:54am :
You gotta admit that for being a randomly selected name, it's really cool :D

yEAH MAN,BETTER NAME THAN 'THE WHO.' LACKS IMAGINATION IMO.
-Vogel- wrote on Nov 11th, 2007 at 6:54am :
You gotta admit that for being a randomly selected name, it's really cool :D

yEAH MAN,BETTER NAME THAN 'THE WHO.' LACKS IMAGINATION IMO.
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 7:35 PM - Quote - Report!

zman@home

yeah, i heard it was thier manager who said 'you guys r gonna go down like a lead zeppelin tonight... but have no idea as to the setting and the like... yeah, i heard it was thier manager who said 'you guys r gonna go down like a lead zeppelin tonight... but have no idea as to the setting and the like...
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 6:55 AM - Quote - Report!

|Guitarhead|

Right thanx guys, i spent a long time puzzling on that one!
at 1 point i thought they just liked aircrafts!
Right thanx guys, i spent a long time puzzling on that one!
at 1 point i thought they just liked aircrafts!
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 10:20 AM - Quote - Report!

zeppdc

I love the name Led Zeppelin! it so cool I love the name Led Zeppelin! it so cool
Posted: Aug 1, 2010 7:15 AM - Quote - Report!

mrmesserschmit

JP said "What does Led Zeppelin mean? It doesn't mean anything! We could have been called the vegetables if it had sounded cool enough!" JP said "What does Led Zeppelin mean? It doesn't mean anything! We could have been called the vegetables if it had sounded cool enough!"
Posted: Aug 1, 2010 2:03 PM - Quote - Report!
Post your reply
Expand